Best Shawarma [General]

2010 Feb 28
I love them.

My fav ever shawarma place is/was Ogilvie Pizza. It is such a big shawarma and I just love how things blended and left you really satisfied. I say WAS because I live all the way in the west now..so too far.

Where's the best one you've had?

2010 Mar 1
My two favourites are Maroush on Elgin, and Shawarma Prince in Orleans and Bells Corners. An interesting variation was at Pizza Delight, which I don't believe is in Ottawa anymore. They're extremely popular in Nova Scotia for the after bar crowds. It's more of a pizza crust version with a sweet, creamy sauce.

2010 Mar 1
Istanbouli is really good. But then again, I can't recall ever having a bad one in Ottawa

2010 Mar 1
The interesting part for me has been realizing that often the non-lebanese places (usually the italian pizza places) make really really good shawarmas.

2010 Mar 1
That's true. I've had Milano's a few times and have never been let down.

Oops, I guess that was actually a donair, not a shawarma...

2010 Mar 1
NU 2492, you'll realize that a lot/most of your "Italian" pizza places are actually run by Lebanese a lot of the time.

2010 Mar 1
I like Really Lebanese. (Yes that is the crazy garlic king that drives around in the obnoxious van!)

2010 Mar 1
The King in Fallingbrook Plaza in Orleans. NOT The Garlic King, just The King. Always have to stop there when I'm in the east end.

2010 Mar 1
I like the Shawarma Palace on Rideau, but lately I've been going to Marroush on Rideau. They have three kinds of garlic sauce, and the rest of the shawarma is good too. I like to get my shawarma with the spicy garlic sauce and garlic potatoes with the oregano garlic sauce.

2010 Mar 1
My two favourites depend on which end of downtown I'm in:

- Laguna Shawarma at Bank and Slater; they marinate for 24 hours, it's always clean, tasty garlic potatoes without being oily. I've never seen the meat pre-cut and kept "warm". A friend loved their falafel, not dry like she usually finds. Evening hours past 5pm are always iffy, sometimes depends on availability of owner or anyone he can find to mind the place or not.

- Castle Shawarma Castle Shawarma, Rideau just past Dalhousie, is ten times more flavourful than Marroush half a block away. Marinating for 48 hours, the chicken is tender and wonderful, the sides always fresh, and they can whip out sandwhiches like nobody's business. Only 4 tiny tables for thin people if you want to sit down, so be warned. (They also stock the amazing Libby's Mango Nectar in the cooler.)

2010 Mar 2
Les grillades on Holland av. without a doubt. (on top of Allium)

2010 Mar 3
Shawarma Palace on Rideau is one of my faves.
(A Shawarma platter is usually enough for two.)

2010 Mar 3
Darn it, I love shawarma (and donair) but in the northwest end of Kanata, there are only a couple of options. I like soup'r'sandwich on Teron Road (and he grills his meat so no danger of f.p.--otherwise the place on Hazeldean Rd. where Dollarama is. Personally, not much luck with Darvesh on Carling (@ March Rd.), but to give them credit I have not been able to purchase at prime time = not optimally fresh.

2010 Mar 3
I'm currently on day three of a shawarma craving (which may or may not have been caused by this exact post) and I can say that Mr. Shawarma is fitting the bill, as usual.

I like how they have pickled cabbage instead of turnip, and, as usual I got a hefty portion of chicken AND garlic sauce. Friggin' delish.

If this craving goes on for Day 4, I think I might venture down to Shawarma palace to give it a try...and review, of course.

2010 Mar 3
Les Grillades, La Shish (they have the pickled cabbage as well as the turnip!)

2010 Mar 6
I have a place I go to at 2545 Baseline Rd. that makes a wonderful shawarma. There is always a line up so it is always fresh, and the value is excellent. They have a super family deal that I take home for dinner on occasion. They have the pickled cabbage instead of the turnip, but the flavor is still so much better than any other shawarma I have tried in the west end.

2010 Mar 6
oops... forgot to mention, the place is called Mr. Shawarma.

2010 Apr 20
Wow, just had it and can totally second Niall's recommendation of Laguna Shawarma. The chicken is not only moist and marinated, but also decidedly more chickeny than anything else I can recall. Mmmmmmmm.

2010 Apr 24
Just when you thought you'd heard it all... Shawarma Pizza. Yea.. that's right, you heard me! You eat it and think to yourself... why hadn't this been discovered before?

I discovered them in this little hole in the wall, mom and pop shop on bank street called Al Fajer. alfajer.page.tl

They also have gyro pizza. But after trying both I preferred the Shawarma Pizza. It literally tasted like eating a shawarma... simply in pizza form. It was amazing :D

2011 Sep 14
SHAWARMA PRINCE IS ONE OF THE BEST PLACES TO TRY

2011 Sep 14
I like Maroush and Shawarma Prince the best.

La Roche in Orleans is my least favourite, and probably the only shawarma I've had in Ottawa that wasn't at least 'good'.

I've recently tried the new Shawarma place beside 5 Guys (west end), and it was ok. I found it odd that the pickled turnip was shredded like coleslaw...seemed like a way to cheap out IMO and didn't have the same taste/crunch as the stick shape. I had the Grand Opening special ($3.99 for sandwich, potatoes, pop). It was definitely the cheapest lunch for 4 that we've had in a long time! ($18.0x) That said, I wouldn't go back at regular price. Shawarma Prince is just down the road and is much better.

2011 Sep 14
Is it strange that I actually like Shawarma Andalos?

My favorite Shawarma so far though has to be from the Matar meat market at Albion and Bank. Hole in the wall place, no ambiance whatsoever. But their meat is grilled over charcoal. Truly makes a difference in the taste. And they have ma'amoul. Yum.

2011 Sep 15
Another vote for Shawarma Prince on Merivale from me. Portions are easily large enough to share. The meat is tender and juicy and the sides are really top quality. The pickled turnip is the best!

2011 Sep 15
Shawarma Station at Bank and Hunt Club is realy good. Great condiments and lots of meat!

2011 Sep 15
La Shish on Merivale!!

2011 Sep 15
I don't eat shawarma, but I do falafel. I've thumbed up La Shish on Merivale. Their falafel has a unique taste that i just love. I also like the pickled cabbage on the sandwich. They also have superior customer service, and a free bite size baklava to go with your meal.

2011 Sep 17
The first time I went to Maroush, being recommended by a "downtown worker", I thought I had died and gone to shawarma heaven. I told the guy behind the counter that it was my first time. He started giving me small samples of chicken and beef. He loaded the sandwich with chicken! The hot garlic sauce was yummy. I was sold.

The second time around was the pits. "Where was the chicken!?

I have not been back since. Dr. Jeckyll and Mr. Hyde Shawarma.

2011 Sep 18

I like the Romeo's pizza on Merivale Donair- I know it is not a shawarma, but still good.

Or else lately I have only gotten Cedar's grocery store shawarma and it is good, decent size. only $4 and they put a lot of toppings on it.
But if you have the time try the Shish Tawook- it is like a chicken brochette cooked on the grill while you wait and...only $4!!!
so good, but it takes at least 20 minutes to prepare.

The shawarma at Jericho is good too.

For a different version of a shawarma Super Duper pizza has a Super Duper wrap- they use a pizza dough instead of a pita and it has a lot of different toppings.
Don't get more than the "small" as the small is enough for 2 people and a massive sandwich- weights at least a pound if not more...

Super Duper pizza does have a shawarma, but it seems like a fake shawarma. I've ordered it a bunch of times and never seen any pickeled turnip or vegetables, not really any garlic to the chicken. The chicken is good quality and white meat, I only tried the sweet and sour sauce and that was good.
Seems more like a chicken pita that "shawarma".
Still, it is good but not a typical shawarma I guess.
I would order it again as I do not like a lot of garlic....and they deliver for free!

But usually I like fallafel a bit more or else Cedars has a "grilled vegetable sandwich" - they use the zuchini, cauliflower,brocolli and whatever vegetables they have already fried and put that in a pita w vegetables.
It is quite good- but doubt those "fried" vegetables are even healthy..

2011 Sep 19
Tyros in Orleans is very good.

2011 Sep 22
I haven't tried the falafel at La Shish, but their shawarma is terrible. Small portions, literally 3 potatoes on a mixed plate, and almost tasteless hummus. The free baklawa doesn't make up for it. Next time I'd rather drive to Shawarma Palace on Carling (which itself is nowhere near the quality and value of its sister store on Rideau).

2011 Sep 22
La Shish has lost it - they are pretty terrible lately. Cold potatoes, too. Head further down Merivale to Shawarma Prince for really well seasoned, aromatic, generous shawarma-ness.

2011 Sep 22
I echo the comments about La Shish falling behind these days. And I love that rice at Shawarma Prince.

2011 Sep 22
I am going to vote in and agree with most of the folks and the selections on the various Shawarma location. I give my vote once again to Shawarma De Roza at the corner of Prince of Wales and Fisher
Shawarma de Roza
I was back again this week and the older couple that own and work there are the nicest folks you will meet. More importantly, the food. Fresh, lots of it and a unique twist to the flavour of the hummus and garlic. The side order salad is equal to a main salad at other places and excellent rice with some veggies in them. Lots of potatoes and tons of garlic. And the prices are equal or better then other locations around town. Just go with the flow with the speed of the service but you will be impressed.

2011 Sep 22
I prefer Kiki's Lebanese/Pineview Pizza to the Shawarma Prince around here.. but really can't say that I have had a bad one around here..

2011 Sep 25
Thanks, JDK. I hadn't noticed this place and will definitely look into it soon.

I know it isn't a traditional shawarma, but I miss the ones I used to get at Pizza Delight in the maritimes. They came with a sweet sauce that is really contradictory to how I've learned to like them here.

2011 Sep 25
Shawarma Town on Bank st. rocks! Great garlic sauce, yummy, fresh sandwiches, and delicious potatoes...

2011 Sep 26
I'm still a die-hard Shawarma Palace fanatic. 15+ years and going strong. Delicious quality meat, never nuked, fresh ingredients, generous portions.

Marroush on Elgin has a certain drunk appeal, but i prefer the Palace overall.

That said, Cedar's on Bank street in OOS is growing in my estimation.

2011 Sep 26
I like Civic Shawarma on Bank Street (at Holmwood) best. Their sauce is not too garlicky, so I don't still feel like I am eating shawarma 4 hours later. Get it with the works, plus hot sauce. Very tasty!

2011 Sep 29
Istanbouli, hands down. Plus they have the best garlic potatoes and the owners are super-nice.

2011 Oct 21
We love to get our Shawarma's at Mid-East Food Company on St Laurent but I should warn you the guy behind the counter takes his work very seriously so I suggest you never ask to have a chicken and beef blend. He is not fond of this request and yet we still go back for his 'abuse' hahahaha!

2012 Mar 12
Shawarma Palace is the best. UFC fighter Nick Denis just wrote an article on how he loves it.

topmmanews.com

2012 Mar 12
I like Yalla Yalla on Trim Road in Orleans......I know it is quite the drive for a lot of people but it is well worth it

2012 Mar 13
I hope MMEH is actually Nick Denis.

2012 Mar 13
If a guy who makes a living getting his head bashed in says it's good, it MUST be good!

2012 Mar 14
Shawarma Palace is overrated and the staff that make the sandwiches treat you like crap. Never again.

2012 Mar 15
What happened?

2012 Mar 19
For me, there can be only one: Shawarma King at Bank/James. The place looks like hell, but they have the tastiest chicken and beef, and their garlic sauce is intense. Every other place tends to gross me out with sketchy meats.

One fair warning: look at the meat before ordering. I've had a few occasions where the chicken was a bit underdone, as a result of the lunch or post-bar rush. Never had that problem with the beef though.

2012 Mar 20
Shawarma Palace, no question in my thinkymeatz.