smoked bread [General]

2010 Feb 27
So now I'm in the bradley club, I'm thinking what else can I do. I just said to my wife - smoked bread? What do you think? and when to smoke it? I'm thinking some kind of savory bread - not sure if sourdough would be good or not. Maybe a quick smoke during proofing (hey smoke, humidity, what else would you want?).

What do you think - am I nuts? (maybe some of monty's smoked peanuts thrown in there too.)

When it stops raining I think I'm going to try this.

2010 Feb 27
I don't think you are nuts :) How about using smoked bread flour?
I am not sure about smoking during the proofing period... I think bread dough get smoked only on the surface... also, smoking temp should not affect proofing temp. So if I were you, I would smoke bread flour instead of bread dough

2010 Feb 27
I personally have a Bradley and two BGE (Big Green Eggs). I’ve baked some great artisan breads on the BGE but the Bradley would not cut it IMHO for baking (temps too low). That leaves you to smoking the crust on pre-cooked loafs, sorry, no thanks.

If you’re looking to smoke something pre-produced, I’d suggest cold smoking a nice cheese. Easy to do in the Bradley with just the puck element going. Even run of the mill St. Albert Cheddar comes out great.

FWIW