What to do with surplus mushrooms? [Cooking]

2010 Feb 22
Metro has mushrooms on sale this week (3 pints for $5). I usually cash in on the sale to make duxelles for omelette or crêpe fillings. However I am looking for other uses for duxelles or new dishes to use them in that I can cook and freeze. Any suggestions?

2010 Feb 22
So many possibilities!

Incorporate into some sort of pasta sauce (proscuitto and mushroom cream sauce... bolognese... list goes on)

Part of a thai mushroom soup.

Part of chili.

Boeuf bourginon.

Fried mushrooms on toast.

As a topping on steak.

With porkchops and cream.

With chicken on rice (chicken a la king style)

Beef wellington.

Mushroom tartes.

Mushroom pizza.

Mushroom soup (cream of)

etc.

2010 Feb 22
I am sucker for cream of mushroom soup, from chintzy Campbells to the amazing version on Wednesdays at German Town Deli. Every recipe I have looked up uses a lot of mushrooms, not sure if it freezes all that well though.

I also love mushroom risotto when I have a lot mushrooms to use up. Crepes forestiere and quiches are other personal faves...

2010 Feb 22
Do you have a dehydrator? Preserve them that way and have them ready to use any time you like

2010 Feb 22
This burger recipe is my current favourite mushroom recipe. I make these up until the end of step 2 and then freeze them. When I'm ready to make them, I just stick them on the grill frozen. I find the recipe makes around 12-15 rather than the 8 that they suggest.

www.vegetariantimes.com

The trick to making them even more tasty is to use mushroom broth rather than water in the first step. I use the Harvest Sun broth cubes that are sold at Herb and Spice and the Wheat Berry.

2010 Feb 22
I second the recommendation of dehydrating them as it also gives you the ability to make mushroom powder which is ever so useful

2010 Feb 22
Wow thanks so much for the ideas everyone. I do not have a dehydrator so I am opting for the freezing option. I think I now have enough ideas to get me started.

Tracinho cream of mushroom soup will freeze although that soup rarely makes it to the freezer in my house-;)

Thanks again everyone!

2010 Feb 22
eat them.... ;-0

2010 Feb 22
LOL @ spud guy I'm working on it!

2010 Feb 22
My friend cooked this mashroom dish and it was so good!
She used brown mushroom.

Separate mushroom (body and stem)
finely chop stem and garlic
Slice and chop some pancetta
(stem, garlic,pancetta are chopped same size)

Slowly heat olive oil and garlic together
Toss pancetta and chopped stem
Add mushroom and cook until it is cooked.
Season with Salt and pepper.

2010 Feb 22
No need for a dehydrator to dry mushrooms - I dehydrated some of the mushrooms we picked last summer on a cookie rack in the space between the fridge and the cupboard above - it provides a warm air current whenever the fridge is running and they dried in 2-3 days; I dried most of the shrooms in the oven (it has a dehydrator setting) at 120 to 140F, but for some small amounts the fridge top worked marvelously as there isn't a whole lot of water in shrooms. Anyways, that my suggestion.
Anybody ever frozen a mushroom pate?

2010 Feb 27
I've frozen some sulfur shelf (aka chicken of the woods) I harvested in the fall. I have eaten it yet though.