Byward Market Lunchtime [General]

2010 Feb 19
Recommendations for lunch < $14 in the Byward Market?

There are lots of restaurants in the Byward Market. My new workplace is on Dalhousie. Any recommendations for lunch < $14 ?

And if they have good vegetarian fare, bonus !

2010 Feb 19
Yesterday I ate at the Clocktower on Clarence - great pub food and prices were in that range

2010 Feb 19
I'm going to pretend you didn't say <$14 and recommend Murray's $14 Lunch:
www.murraystreet.ca

2010 Feb 19
Haveli has a decent lunch buffet for around 10 bucks, if you're into Indian (lots of vegetarian). Sandwiches at Nicastro are huge, pretty delicious and ridiculously inexpensive.

2010 Feb 19
Francis If you like vegetarian fare there is the Peace Garden Peace Gardenrestaurant in the same building as Empire Grill. It's pretty small but the food is good and inexpensive.

I would also echo Cait's recommendation of La Bottega. There is a small restaurant at the back that serves hot meals or you can pick up a sandwich at the deli counter.

There are also several restaurants in the Byward Market Square that are all good and relatively inexpensive: www.bywardmarketsquare.com I think I have eaten at all of them at least twice and they are all good-;)

Other possibilities are Planet Coffee (their soup is the best) or the Sausage Kitchen (their sandwiches are highly recommended).

I could also recommend Ahora Ahora.

Last but not least the Rideau Bakery also has a lunch counter but it seems to be hit or miss - some days it's open and some days it's not. (Do any other ottawafoodies know what their schedule is?...)

If I think of anywhere else I will let you know.

2010 Feb 19
Thanks! I've tried the Peace Garden, and it's very good.

Havelli's is also good for vegetarian, but I saw a small insect with antennae when I was there two weeks ago, and it's put me off going back.

Thanks for the Murray St. recommendation. Let's say my criteria is <= $14. :-)
It's only $1 more to $15, but I won't be wanting to make a habit of $15 lunches. :-( unless I win the lottery !

I haven't tried Bogetta or Ahora - is that the Mexican under the Palais Imperial dim sum place? If so, then this is the second recommendation I've gotten for it. I must try it.

Also there is a Thai down the street (can't remember the name) near the used book store on Dalhousie that has lunch specials in the $13 range.

For quick fare (besides Subway), I've had the vegetarian falafel at "The Garlic Corner". It's great - especially if you like garlic. I do. But I'll only have it if I working late and there's no one else around. :-)

There was some talk about my company (IT) moving to Kanata. This building is old (heating and cooling awful) and the rent is double current rates in Kanata. But I can bike to work and the scenery and location are great. I'm looking forward to the summer in the Market too. I hope we don't move.

2010 Feb 19
Planet Coffee. They've started doing hot meals, but they also have IMO, the best sandwiches in the market (take that and bite it, Bottega). La Bottega is also really fricking good for sandwiches and will do vegetarian as well.* Planet COffee always has one vegetarian sandwich on hand (ie. apple, onion and brie cheese; artichoke hearts, garlic mayo and mozzarella) and more often than not their soup is veg-friendly as well.

Would also consider Bridgehead for the soup/sammy combo as well.

*please note, I used to work at Bottega, and while they're pretty much my favourite Italian food store and I do love their sandwiches, they feel a bit more like a pie than a sandwich at times. But, no, I do not hold a serious grudge and my snark should be taken with as much salt as there is in the prosciutto.

(I love this thread: I'm going to be back downtown in April for work and I can't hardly wait!)

2010 Feb 19
Well my wife joined me for lunch and she voted for Thai . . . so we went to the Thai up the one block on Dalhousie, Bangkok Thai.

$10.95 lunch deal includes soup, two vegetarian spring rolls and entree. To me it was just average, or slightly below for Thai food. The soup was spicy, but not particularly flavorful. Ditto for the spring rolls and my entree (red curry and coconut milk).

2010 Feb 19
Francis Yes Ahora is in fact the Mexican place below Palais Imperial. I will keep my fingers crossed and hope your company stays put-;) The market is a lively fun place during the summer and by then the chip wagons will be out. There is a new one on the south side of Rideau near King Edward I think called the Shawagon Shawagon and they sell Lebanese food. I haven't been yet but have heard good things about them so it is definitely my priority to try them out this year.

2010 Feb 19
Ahora is really good and not crazy expensive. But often busy I find, so it depends when you go and if you can get a table. Peace Garden is great too for vegetarian/vegan food, I'm not a huge fan of the atmosphere (I just don't like 'malls' and the like), but their food is wonderful.

I'm not a huge fan of Bangkok Thai, it's not bad but my least favourite Thai food in the city. I guess I found the food a little on the bland side, but that might just be me. Good price on the lunch deal, that's not too bad at all!

Bridgehead definately makes the best coffee-shop/take out sandwiches...the cheese/tomato one is excellent. They seem to sell out of their food quickly though, not too surprising.

Oh I've got to try Murrays, I've heard good things!

2010 Feb 19
what about the places in the central building of the market? the indian place is always my choice when in the vacinity....i think you are spoilt for choice in that area of the city!

2010 Feb 19
spud guy the central building you are thinking of is the "Byward Market Square" building I mentioned in my original post and provided a link. I work near the market and since their prices are reasonable and the food is always good it is usually my go-to place for lunch. I agree we are spoiled for choice around here-;)

2010 Feb 19
Though I haven't had Murray Street $14 lunch, if it's anything like their brunch, I'm pretty sure it is, it'll rock hard.

I do have a soft spot for the chicken tikka wrap that you can get from Shafali Bazaar (that's the place in the central building). It's not authentic at all, which is probably why it's so good ;)

2010 Feb 19
I agree with spud guy that we are spoiled for lunch choices here in the market, but NOT choices under $14!! I work on Murray and its hard to find a cheap lunch around here. My best cheap finds:

- Soup at Piccolo Grande (Piccolo Grande) on Murray
- Second the Peace Garden! (Peace Garden) I love their soups, and their baked goods. The lunch special platter easily gets up to $11, but it IS delicious.
- Perogies or Sausage on a Bun from the Sausage Kitchen (Sausage Kitchen ) on Byward Market Square.
- Budapest Deli (Budapest Delicatessen Also on Byward Market Square) has a different $3 sandwich every day! $3!!! Its basically cold cuts on a big bun, but pretty tasty, and shorter lines than Nicastro's.
- The French Baker (The French Baker) on Murray makes about a dozen sandwiches every day, they are usually gone by 12:30 so get there early! They are rich sandwiches on fresh, long-sliced baguette. Usually salami, mayo, nice cheese and some little greens, for about $6.
- Sushi from Sushi Zone in the Byward Market Building.
- Bagel and lox from Continental in the Byward Market Building.
- Lois and Frima's has $1 hot dogs. :)
- Wontonmama (Wonton Mama ) on Clarence offers a bunch of "Asian" dishes, I had the pad Thai and it was pretty tasty.

I'm not doing very well with the vegetarian thing, eh? There are loads of little hidey holes in the market, you just have to find them! Good luck, and welcome to the 'hood.

2010 Feb 19
I live in rrkanata-nice on the spot sammis/pizza/ that's about it (though always fresh!)

2010 Feb 20
khao thai is the place on murray by the bookstore. Chez lucien have some of the best burgers in town.....might have a veggie burger, not sure. Ahora is a must! plus i would recommend shafali in the byward market building....but, i have only tried the chicken tikka wrap.

2010 Feb 21
Look like I'll be busy the next few weeks, checking all these places out !

Yum.

2010 Feb 22
If you like Indian and have a little bit more time and can sit down I would definitely recommend Shafali Shafali. I am a bit of a virgin when it comes to Indian but my friend who's a veggie and my friend who is Indian both loves this place and now I do too. Absolutely amazing food, and they have great lunch time deals. Bonus it is right on Dalhousie too, so if your in the mood for some great food I would check it out.

2010 Feb 23
I can see Shafali from my office window and I've been thinking of trying it ! (But today my calendar is marked "Ahora").

p.s. I was at Garlic Corner last night with my daughter and if you order the platter it is very big - an oval leaf shaped plate. One couple came in and ordered on platter between the two of them. My daughter and I had the vegetarian shawarmas, one of her friends had a beef shawarma and the other a chicken shawarma. It was her friends' first Shawarmas and they really enjoyed it !

------------------------------

pp.s. Just came back from Ahora. I had the vegetarian enchiladas plate for $10.95. Great flavor. Ahora is a winner! Yummy. Restaurant is a cozy spot, below street level. You go up to the counter to order. I need to bring a camera so I can get pics of the foods at the restaurants I try to post.

2010 Feb 23
Wangs noodle house. Seriously, they have a great vegetarian noodle dish. The soup however, contains fish broth. Otherwise, its a small joint in the market. Cheap, quick and generally pretty tasty!

2010 Feb 23
Francis Glad to hear you liked Ahora. My former supervisor got me hooked on that place. My friend in Kingston will be coming to Ottawa on business for a few days next week. I am contemplating taking here there when we go out for dinner even though we had Mexican the last time we met up. Her eyes lit up when I mentioned sushi so my plans may go by the wayside-;)

2010 Feb 23
There aren't any GREAT mexican resto's here in Ottawa, however, Ahora does take the cake. While I'm not in love with the place, it does offer some decent grub. I rather just make it all at home.