LF carrot cake - hintonburg/wellington/glebe/preston [General]

2010 Feb 18
i need a small carrot cake for friday (tomorrow). i know there are a lot of great bakeries, but don't want to drive all over checking each one out with a toddler in tow. can anyone recommend one particular place?

my area would be hintonburg/wellington village/preston/glebe/ottawa south.

the cake is for 4 people, so i don't want anything too big. some leftovers are ok, enough to feed another 10 people not ok.

thanks!

2010 Feb 18
hipfunkyfun I'm pretty sure I have seen carrot cakes at the Trillium Bakery in Old Ottawa South but you might want to call first.

2010 Feb 18
Try Harvest Loaf, fairly certain that they would have some and it's close enough to 3Tarts that you could easily check out there as well if it fails.

2010 Feb 18
blech to the trillium bakery. i had the worst cake from there. we called it the punishment birthday cake. someone else bought it and it was some kind of caroby, hard thing with dried apricots stuck on in place of icing. i still shudder remembering the difficulty i had chewing and swallowing my piece.

i need an actual cake, not pieces. i think harvest loaf only offers individual pieces of cakes and squares. maybe i'm wrong?

2010 Feb 18
It just so happens that Thursday is "carrot cake day" at www.lifeofpie.ca/ and isn't too far away from your area.

2010 Feb 18
thanks bobby, i just emailed them a request for more info. i have really enjoyed other things from their bakery.

2010 Feb 18
I would second Jagash's vote for Harvest Loaf. I had some at Taste of Wellington and it was really quite tasty. Not sure about sizes. You may want to call. (Then again, with toddler in tow, you're best to call ahead anyway!)

As far as I know, HL does offer whole cakes.

2010 Feb 18
i will call HL. i also heard back from life of pie and here is their carrot cake, which is Just Carrot "Carrot Cake", No Nuts, No Pineapple, Just Carrots. with a cream cheese icing:

We have carrot cake available in the freezer. You just thaw and serve. It is a whole cake, in an oblong tin. The cake serves 6 - 8 and the cost is $8.

I have always been happy with life of pie, so i may just go there.

2010 Feb 18
The Life of Pie one sounds awesome. I can't stand carrot cake with "chunks" - be they pineapple or nut in origin.

Strangely enough, I don't think I've ever baked a carrot cake. This seems odd to me.

2010 Feb 18
i bought the life of pie one. they said serves 6-8, but that would be small pieces. for comparison, i would say 4 pieces of bridgehead carrotcake would be one pan of life of pie carrot cake. i will report back after we try it tomorrow.

i love all the additions to my carrot cake - pineapple, raisins, nuts, but my guys would rather keep it simple.

2010 Feb 18
Carrot cake is oh-so-personal-hope you found what you were seeking...

2010 Feb 22
the life of pie carrot cake was just ok. the icing was good, the cake was moist, i just found the cake flavour lacking. i thought it needed more spice - cinnamon for starters. plus, i missed the additions.

it was a good size cake for $8 and i like giving the bakery my business, i will just stick to some of the other baked goods instead.

i really like bridgehead carrot cake (heavy on flavour), so if you don't like bridgehead carrot cake, you might really enjoy this lighter one.