Eatery input [General]

2010 Feb 11
Hello all,

I am a newbie here and am excited to join this forum. Need to pick your collective brains. The story: going to bring 16-yr old niece to dinner with DH & I beginning of March. She is from a small town and this is a big deal for her. Am trying to find somewhere that she actually recognizes the food on the menu yet offers fresh, well-prepared food which meets my foodie inclined self.

Am hoping to inspire her understanding that food does not have to be processed crud but not scare the crap out of her with a menu too foreign to her. :o She and DH are carnivores and I am a vegetarian. Never been to Mambo and thought maybe that would be the place as it looked fun. Liked the menu BUT not liking the reviews so that has been nixed. May be important to mention we love places such as the Wellington Gastropub however ...want to try something new. I also noticed the Grand Pizzeria.

Any ideas?

Thanks for any input...tango

2010 Feb 11
Tango - Welcome to Ottawa Foodies.

Here is a thought (cause I've had kids of that age) make it more about the location than the food... some of the better eateries in Ottawa have amazing locations, and that is what she'll remember long after the meal is over.

I grew up in a small town, and lived on meat & potatoes as a kid, wasn't all that experimental with food... BUT when I finally got to a fancy restaurant in the big city (Montreal) I was really impressed with the whole experience (can't for the life of me recall what I ate) but the experience was enough to make me want for more. I would say that is where my love affair with fine dining first began... Montreal landmarks like The Beaver Club (in the Queen E), Altitude 727 (atop Place Ville Marie), Gibbys (Old Montreal) etc.

You can still discuss food at the meal... maybe when browsing the menu (which you can have checked out in advance on-line). And lots of other foodie things like linen napkins, cutlery, service style (serve from the left, remove from the right), etiquette etc. It will be educational but not in a preachy kind of way... more like an adventure.

So don't necessarily look for some place fun, look for some place "grown up". At 16 she will be appreciative of being treated like an Adult, by her fabulous Aunt.

2010 Feb 11
Welcome aboard, Tango!

The Grand was a really enjoyable experience for us. I have heard less than stellar things about Mambo, both here and off the site. If she's here on a Tuesday, going for tapas at Navarra would be nice. I would also recommend Jak's Kitchen and Stoneface Dolly's without hesitation (though, the latter perhaps not for a weekend brunch). If she likes fish, Whalesbone is also worth mentioning (not sure if you're a pesca-vegetarian?).

Also, if you're in the Byward Market during lunchtime, I would strongly recommend La Botegga for sandwiches. They're huge and delicious, and they can make them vegetarian, and they're just as good. Also, in the market, Planet Coffee for a really good atmosphere and delicious baked goods (also, more sandwiches).

2010 Feb 11
I second your recommendation LWB, The Grand pizzeria would be a great place, also a good location for pre- and post-dinner exploration... this way you could pop across the street and get a Beaver Tail for dessert. I'd also recommend Absinthe, the menu items are all fairly recognizable, non-esoteric, etc. but very well prepared and they always have vegetarian offerings.

2010 Feb 11
Thanks everyone. F&T, I agree totally and am excited that she will remember the experience. I am also trying my darndest though to couple that with food that will inspire her to get into reaching for higher food standards. Not an easy task! I am a crazy Aunt who wants it ALL!
he he....Top of the World Ma. Rosebud. You Can't Handle the Truth.

ahem...

I am so happy to hear that The Grand Pizzeria has been good for lwb & Chimichimi (OMG I had WAY to many "mi's" in there at first! :o) and have made the reservation. Hurrah. I had been researching this before coming in here and liked the video that The Grand has on their site. Thanks to you all for your input.

On a fun note: I am taking her out first to get her hair cut and hi-lighted so we are going to have a really great day topped with with great food! Sweet.

Cheers!

2010 Feb 11
Depending on how much you're thinking of spending, I would also suggest Domus, Allium, and the Urban Pear as other options. They are definitely higher end, "experience" restaurants that have recognizable food on the menu.

2010 Feb 12
Probably too late. But I took my two food loving - but NOT - 'fancy place' loving sons to Urban Pear for lunch on a week day. They loved the food and were not intimidated by the place. I would highly recommend lunch for newbies-worked for my sons who think poutine (without lobster!) is the ultimate!

2010 Feb 13
I agree with W.C. and Mers. The Urban Pear is definitely a good fit for what you want.