The Fat Duck - Im going [General]

2010 Feb 8
No review on this place yet, but I thought I would share my giddiness that I am going to the Fat Duck in April. I got up this morning at 4:45 so I could start calling for 10am UK time on the first day I could obtain a reservation (they have a 2 month in advance policy). It took me an hour, but I got through and got a lunch reservation (though they serve the same tasting menu at both lunch and dinner so all is well with the world).

Many people think I am insane for going to such restaurants given that I am not wealthy man(I a not hurting by any means but the prices such restaurants, even if its only about 1 a year, are very, very high). Those people do have a point but I guess for me the excitement and pleasure of such a grand meal is worth it and the memories are wonderful too. Happily, we are staying with friends in the UK so we have no hotel to pay for.

Anyway, I had an extra bounce in my step today despite being tired. I kept humming the In Search of Perfection theme song all day long.....

Thought I would share my good news!

2010 Feb 8
that's pretty exciting medicinejar! Heston is a friggin genius.

still waiting on my 1st Michelin 3-Star experience. agreed that the excitement, pleasure, and memories are worth the high ticket price of a great meal. it's nice to be able to (over)indulge once in awhile.

2010 Feb 9
lucky!! should be amazing. I got my reply from El bulli like last week denying me reservations. Went to Le Bernadin in NY city a few years back..it was amazing

2010 Feb 9
enjoy and take pics!

been trying to get a reso at the fat duck since jan to no avail, even with a 2 month advance yet still on a cancellation list with flight anytime at the ready so ya never know. but i've studied the fat duck cookbook enough that i'm attempting some of the dishes at home and doubling the portion sizes. mmmmm salmon dipped in black licorice....

2010 Feb 9
I'm jealous...I am sure El Bulli is fantastic and I love Spanish food, but the scrappiness of the Fat Duck's menu appeals to me far more than Adria's super luxe avant-garde fusion, if that is what you could call it. Another British resto I'd like to hit up at my next opportunity is the River Cottage Canteen.

2010 Feb 9
I wonder if at the River Cottage Canteen if Hugh would make you kill your own chicken before cooking it for you! :)

2010 Feb 12
Wow - I was just on their webpage today looking at the reservation details and wondering if I could score one for my vacation.

Enjoy it and I'm sure we want a full report once you get back.

2010 Feb 12
You should try and get in to El Bulli before they close!!!

www.winespectator.com

2010 Feb 12
re: el bulli: i have many of the cookbooks and dvd's and read available interviews. it is interesting that el bulli closing -- despite being revered and critically acclaimed by hundreds of magazines as one of the top in the world for cuisine but sales-wise that is another story. it appears that they have never made money from restaurant sales. they've only stayed marginally in the black because of cookbook sales, instructional videos and molecular gastronomy products. ferran says "everything's been done before" and wants to travel to asia for inspiration of new products and new flavors to reopen el bulli with breakthroughs; on the other hand, ferran's brother, albert just released a fantastic book+dvd called natura as his last testament to modern desert cuisine and left el bulli and the business last year. a foreshadowing of things?

heston/the fat duck will certainly be hungry to fill that void.

perhaps the quick lesson learned: to stay afloat in the resto biz where margins are thin, perhaps one may need to go beyond dinner service into publishing, online products, tv-shows, etc... and (heaven forbid) become a dramatically simulated "asshole/neurotic" celebrity.

2010 Feb 12
just in from NY times: el bulli is done due to big lo$$e$.

dinersjournal.blogs.nytimes.com

2010 Feb 14
I am very surprised El Bulli closed. Given how impossible it seemed to be to get a reservation, I would have thought they would have simply raised the price. I am sure people would continue to pay.

El Bulli is one of those restaurants I never seriously considered. Basically, I tend to plan a holiday and then figure out what is the best restaurant in the area and try for a reservation. I get the impression that with El Bulli, you get a reservation and then plan your holiday around it which is, sadly, too rich for me (my investments in 649 have yet to pay off!)

I do find it interesting how many people in the restaurant business forget that they are in business. I certainly got the impression that was the problem with Rob Feenie when he ran Lumiere in Vancouver. I think he saw himself as an artist. I recall an interview with Daniel Boulud who became a partner in Lumiere and also offered his DB Bistro Morderne in place of Feenies in Vancouver. Basically, Boulud stated that the problem with Lumiere under Feenie was that it was too much a celebration place and that it needed a pre fixe dinner option to get people coming in on a more regular basis.

Boulud defintely follows that advice at all of his restaurants. For those wanting to experience a 3 Michelin star restaurant at a good price his 3 course dinner at Daniel in NYC is a very good deal at $105. You can also get wine pairings for $60. I went twice when it had 2 stars and was quite impressed. Based on when I was there it is not Per Se, but its also a lot cheaper - though Per Se was heavenly.

With regards to the Fat Duck, my suggestion is to get up early and start dialing at 10 AM UK time on the first day reservations are available for. I get the impression Lunch reservations are easier to come by and the great thing is it is the exact same menu as dinner. My wife and I found the same thing with Per Se in NYC. We were able to have Per Se's dinner menu at lunch and then we walked off the dinner in Central Park and the Metropolitan Museum aftewards.

Cheers

2010 Feb 16
MJ you may be correct about the Feenie thing - but don't forget that Boulud was brought in after the partners kicked out Feenie. Clearly Boulud will side with the other partners. Not saying he was wrong - but I'm pretty sure Feenies was packed most nights.

2010 Feb 16
I am not too sure about Feenies as I have been there but Lumiere had problems from what I heard and the night I went to Lumiere it was not packed and I believe it was a Saturday night which is never a good sign for a restaurant.

While its true Boulud was brought in afterwards and therefore is not an objective observer, I have always gotten the impression from him that he is very much aware that he is running a business. I get the distinct impression that there are a lot of great chefs who see themselves as "Artistes" and not as people running a business. I read an article on Michael Stadlander of Eigensinn Farm in which he noted that his wife really looked after the business side of things and kept him on track. At one point he wanted to buy a new tracter if I recall correctly, and she said no problem but we will have to open up one more day each week.

Cheers

2010 Mar 11
oak moss with liquid nitrogen, jelly of quail, cream of crayfish, truffle toast