naan recipe [General]

2010 Feb 3
i am planning on making the chana masala recipe on smitten kitchen this weekend and would like to make some home made naan to go with it. does anyone have a tested naan recipe they could share with me? i don't have a mixer that can knead dough, so i will either do it by hand or in the bread machine (dough only).

2010 Feb 3
I have one at home I believe and will toss the recipe up when I get home if possible.

2010 Feb 3
I use the one from Charmaine Solomon's Complete Asian Cookbook:

www.recipezaar.com/Naan-16332

It comes up really nicely on the griddle we use on the BBQ. :)

2010 Feb 3
From Baking with Julia... I have made with great success many times:
2 1/2 c water (80-90*F)
2 tsp active dry yeast
5-6 cups bread flour
1 Tbsp salt
In a large bowl add the water and yeast. Stir to blend. Add 3 cups of flour a cup at a time stirring in one direction. Then mix well for 1 minute. Then add the salt and start adding the remaining flour stirring until you need to knead. You may not use all the flour.
Knead on a floured work surface until smooth and easy to handle.
Place in an oiled bowl and roll to cover surface with oil, cover with plastic and a towel. Rise for 2 hours until more than doubled.
If you have a baking stone, great, preheat in 500 oven. If not just preheat oven.
Divide the dough in to 4 pieces and shape in to ovals 6x8 inches. Let rest for a few min to relax the gluten. When ready to bake work with one at a time and with damp hands stretch the naan so it is about 5 inches by 16 inches long. Dimple the surface. You should just take your time and stretch the dough carefully and slowly and don't worry if you get a hole. Carefully lift on to the stone or baking sheet and bake for5 minutes. Remove and cool on a rack for 5 min then wrap it a soft cotton towel to keep it soft and warm. When one loaf is baking prep the next. It goes fast. Sometimes I brush a little melted butter on them when they come out of the oven. Just tastes good. The recipe actually calls for sesame seeds to be sprinkled on before baking but I choose not to add.

2010 Feb 3
I think this recipe was in the Citizen maybe 25 to 30 years ago; it's from the original Nupur, my favourite Indian restaurant in Ottawa at the time. I'm posting it for you to try sometime if you're interested, hipfunkyfun, as it is really very good. I have made yeast naan a number of times and have a number of recipes, but this is my favourite. There are many bp recipes for naan on the net but this is the only one I've ever tried. One big advantage of this recipe over yeast versions is that the dough can be made long before needed and can easily be shaped and cooked at the last minute so your naan is very fresh and your guests are suitably impressed and enjoy its wonderful aromas and delicious flavours.

Nupur’s Naan

1 large egg
1 cup milk
2 Tbs sugar
1 cup hot water
4 cups self-rising flour
1/4 tsp onion seed
2 heaping tsp baking powder
scant 1/4 cup vegetable oil

about 2 Tbs butter, melted, for brushing dough

Whisk the egg, milk and sugar together. Stir in the hot water. Sieve the dry ingredients together in a large bowl. Gradually add the liquid ingredients to the dry, mixing it with your hands to form a soft dough. Gradually add the vegetable oil, continuing to mix the dough with your hands.
Cover the dough and allow it to rest for at least 1 hour up to 8 hours - the longer you let it rest Place an ungreased frying pan or skillet or pizza stone, etc. the better the naan will be. Heat oven to it’s highest heat - 500F or more.
Take about 1/2 cup of dough and roll it in your hands to form a ball, using a bit of flour on your hands to keep it from sticking; set aside to rest, covered. Repeat with remaining dough.
Starting with the ball first rolled, stretch the dough to a 10" diameter circle about 1/4" thick, or place on floured board and stretch or roll with a rolling pin.
Bake in middle of oven about 4 to 5 minutes, until bottom is lightly browned and naan is slightly puffed. Remove from oven and serve hot brushed with melted butter.

Makes 6 to 8 naan.

Andy’s note: replace self-rising flour with 2 Tbs baking powder and 2 tsp salt added to a one cup measure, then add flour to level and add to sieve; add 3 more cups of flour only to the sieve and sift into a bowl; stir to mix well with a fork or whisk. I don’t bother with the extra 2 tsp of baking powder as it seems to me to be excessive. On the other hand, the amount of onion seed seems to me to be rather minimal (as I love it). It’s also known by numerous other names, eg kalongi, kalunji, Nyger, niger, nigella, black or black onion seed... It can be replaced with cumin seed, also very delicious, or simply omitted. Some extra seed can also be sprinkled on the outside of the bread before baking. I brush the naan with butter or ghee as it comes from the oven, then stack them on a tea towel on the counter and wrap the towel around to keep them warm until they're all cooked.