Valentine's Dinner [General]

2010 Jan 26
My boyfriend and I aren't usually into the mushy stuff, but this year we are celerbrating Valenine's Day with good food, drinks and company! We are going out for dinner with another couple, two of our best friends. Although we love them to death, they are picky eaters and not very adventurous. Any ideas for a medium priced restaurant that would suit both unadventurous as well as food fanatics?

Cheers!

...and Happy Valentine's Day :)

2010 Jan 26
Just a few come to mind... Fraser Cafe, their new location is awesome. Maybe Wellington gastropub, Murray street.

2010 Jan 27
Play food and wine. My husband is picky picky, I am not, and there is always something for everyone! Plus, the prices are very reasonable.

2010 Jan 27
KissMyApron - There is medium priced, and there is Valentine's Day medium priced. Many places that will be mentioned here, I think you can expect to pay, at the lower range $40 to $50 per person, alcohol not included. Further, many places will have a prix fixe menu. If you can move 'the day' to a nearby day, you might be able to save some. Otherwise, on V-Day, expect to pay more, and for getting reservations to be a trial. Also, I've found that because places tend to really 'pack' their reservations, some will even tell you (when you make the reservation) the time you are expected to be done by and leave (because someone else will have been booked). I usually try to avoid going out on 'The Day'.

That being said, I would recommend Juniper (my old standby) but they seem to have no availability. My suggestion would be Mezzanotte in the Market. I would bet that all the trendy/popular places are already booked for V-Day. You might want to start calling around now... Make sure you ask if they have an open menu, or prix-fixe, and the cost.

2010 Jan 27
In Jared Diamond’s book “Collapse”, he printed a world map that showed the environmental hot spots of the world and the Philippines is right in the middle of that map. We need to know more about climate change; the adaptation and mitigation measures that will be needed.
====================================
vancouver flowers

2010 Jan 27
"The Man" and I have given up in recent years going out for Valentine's Day (lol, he calls it a Hallmark Holiday). But it just too crazy, the hassle of making a reservation, the crush of people, the pace (sometimes indeed feeling rushed out the door as P-i-O has mentioned) and many times the extra expense vs any other night at the same restaurant.

We tend now to either make something for ourselves at home, we've found the LCBO's Food & Drink Magazine is a handy resource for such meals... or sometimes we've shared the cooking with another couple, and had a feast in each other's homes... see Valentines @ Home = ottawafoodies.com

We typically go out quite a bit in January & February anyways... as we try to support the slow-time for many Restaurants, and also participate in Taste of Winterlude = www.ottawafoodies.com ... And more often than not the Winterlude Options are a lot better than the fare they offer up for Valentines anyways.

2010 Jan 27
Or of course you could just go with the other suggestion.... put forth above New User 2412 (and his Agenda, see link)

Gimme a "S"...