hazelnut uses? [General]

2010 Jan 14
i was given a bag of hazelnuts grown near family in victoria. they are in the shell. i am not sure what to do with them. any suggestions? should i just crack them open and use the nut in a recipe? can i roast them in the shells similar to chestnuts? it seems like a sturdy bag full, but since they are in the shell, i am not sure what they will amount to once they come out. i was thinking shelling them, toasting and putting into a chocolate bark type thing.

2010 Jan 14
I like to have hazelnuts with brussel sprouts!

2010 Jan 14
i love brussel sprouts. do you have a recipe?

2010 Jan 14
Maple-Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Hazelnuts

Ingredients:
1/2 cup (125 mL) hazelnuts (editor's note: I use a lot more hazelnuts than this!)
6 cups (1.5 L) Brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved
1 small red onion, cut_into 1 1/2-inch thick wedges
2 tbsp (25 mL) extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
1/4 tsp (1 mL) pepper
1/4 cup (50 mL) maple syrup
2 tsp (10 mL) cider vinegar

Preparation:
In small metal cake pan, toast hazelnuts in 350°F (180°F) oven until fragrant, 5 to 10 minutes. Transfer to tea towel; rub off as much of the skins as possible. Coarsely chop and set aside.

In roasting pan, toss together brussels sprouts, onion, oil, salt and pepper. Roast in 425°F (220°C) oven, stirring occasionally, until tender and edges are browned, about 30 minutes.

Add hazelnuts, maple syrup and vinegar; toss to combine. Roast for 5 minutes. Makes 4 servings.

2010 Jan 14
Hazelnut & chocolate biscotti! Unroasted filberts are a bit boring, shell them, roast them, wrap them up in a kitchen towel and rub the skins off. Labour intensive, but worth it.

2010 Jan 14
I'm not a fan of brussel sprouts but that recipe might be good, snoopy loopy. I'll just save that for when my dw wants to cook them, as I never cook them for her. Thanks.

hff, if I had some special hazelnuts I'd want to make something special and that means combining them with chocolate to make the flavour known as gianduia, and that means I'd have to make Gianduia Cheesecake, my all-time fave cheesecake: first I'd toast and grind some to make the cookies for the crust, then I'd toast and grind some more to make the hazelnut butter, then I'd toast some to decorate the top, then I'd be in heaven, then nothing else matters...
You, however, might prefer the brussel sprouts...=;0)

2010 Jan 14
you can just put them in the microwave for like 5 min..they are very tasty! :-)

2010 Jan 15
Snowball cookies! Wrap roasted whole hazelnut with snowball cookie dough.

2010 Jan 15
I love hazelnuts. You can use them in pesto. I like them toasted in salads.

Tip- to get the skins off, toast them in the oven, wrap them in a tea towel and roll them/rub them with the towel. The skins will come off nicely.

2010 Jan 15
Hazelnut brown butter cake - my sister has made this a few times and, holy wow, delicious...
smittenkitchen.com

And from another trusted source, hazelnut marbles (making your hazelnuts into a marzipan-like paste)...
At the end of that post, there's other hazelnut recipes.
chocolateandzucchini.com