Where to buy coconut flour? [Food/Vendor]

2010 Jan 12
Hi all,

Every food search I am doing always leads me to this site, and because of it I have located several items that I was previously having mailed (and paying a lot more for)

I have not been able to locate anyone in town carrying coconut flour. I use it quite extensively in baking and am paying a fortune for it through mail order.

Does anyone here know where I could buy it in Ottawa?

Thank you.

2010 Jan 12
I recently saw it at the Bulk Barn.

2010 Jan 12
I bought some at the Bulk Barn on Merivale Rd.

2010 Jan 12
I just called there and not only do they have it...it's on sale!! And for less than half of what I have been paying for it online.

THANK YOU!!!

I had looked there before and didn't find it. Thank you so much.

2010 Jan 12
wha....? Not sure why the same reply showed up on there so many times at all different times.

I hit refresh to see the replies....sorry if that caused the multiple postings.

2010 Jan 13
Glad you were able to find it! I do have a related question: is coconut flour any different from powdered coconut? I could see how powdered coconut could be interpreted as being coconut flour, but I'm not entirely sure.

(Just for my own edification, see, since my wife cooks with powdered coconut all the time.)

2010 Jan 13
2370eater - Ya every once in a while there is a posting f@rt (especially true if one is posting using any other electronic device than a computer)... for future reference you can fix the multiple post yourself... at the top of your last post (would have) appeared two bottons one marked EDIT and one marked DELETE. You can either EDIT or DELETE any of your posts as long as you are the last in the thread (even if there are more than one) as long as there are no comments made after your own.

2010 Jan 13
Momo - I think it's the dried & defatted version of powdered coconut, though I could be wrong. My SO uses it in her baking from time to time.

2010 Jan 13
What do you guys bake with coconut flour? I am very curious!!
I have never used coconut flour for baking before.

2010 Jan 13
Aisu - it's used as a gluten free flour substitute, I've had it in cookies and banana bread and it worked out fine in both applications!

2010 Jan 13
Chimichimi: I see, use coconut flour as gluten free substitute, that's interesting! Does coconut flour give distinguish coconut flavour to the baked goods like coconut macaroon ?

2010 Jan 13
It has a very mild flavour to it, different than that of wheat flour, but it's very very mild... probably due to the fact that most of the fats/oils have been drawn out of it.

2010 Jan 13
I see. Thank you for your reply, Chimichimi :) I will try coconut flour for baking sometime soon :)