BREAD MAKING RECIPES NEEDED [General]

2010 Jan 9
Hello all...As I did make one of my resolutions was to make bread like the old days I thought I had better "Rise" to the occasion.

I just realized that all my old recipes are missing. Is anyone willing to share their recipes? I am interested in everything from French Bread to whole grain and rye...

Thanks in advance everyone!

2010 Jan 9
Here is my basic dough recipe

urbanhippy.ca/basic/dough

It is extremely versatile - change the flours around, or the oil, or the type of sugar used and so forth. I use it for bread, pizza dough and just about anything.

2010 Jan 9
...link doesn't seem to work, zym

2010 Jan 9
Barb, there are (more than) a couple tasty recipes at the knead for bread blog that I can highly recommend, Barb: Pumpkin Raisin at www.thekneadforbread.com and Roasted Beet at www.thekneadforbread.com

PS it's a B.C. blogger and his sister does the excellent photography.

It's a pretty good bread blog, very worthwhile checking out, but something has happened to keep it from being updated in the last 2 months - prior to that they updated almost every Saturday. The pumpkin raisin bread (OK I use Sunshine or butternut squash) is nice and chewy and the best homemade raisin bread I've eaten. The beet bread is pretty good too, and the loaves come out a nice shade of pink - perfect for breast cancer bake sale fundraisers.

Here's one of my own recipes that makes a nice soft bread and excellent toast:

Oats ‘n Barley Beer Bread

3-1/2 cups warm liquid (water – then it’s not beer bread; or a mix of beer eg 1 or 2 500 ml can(s) of Caledonian Brewery’s 80/- and water totaling 3-1/2 cups)
1 cup old-fashioned (large flake) rolled oats
1-1/4 Tbs instant yeast
1/3 cup oat bran or oat bran cereal
1 cup barley flour
1+ Tbs gluten
2 Tbs barley malt
3 Tbs honey or molasses
2 or 3 tsp brewer’s yeast (optional)
4 tsp sea salt
4 Tbs olive oil
3 cups all purpose (ap) flour
3+ cups whole wheat (ww) flour

To warm liquid add the oats and let soak for 15 minutes. Add instant yeast, oat bran, barley flour, gluten, barley malt, honey or molasses, and brewer’s yeast (if using); stir to mix and add 1 cup each of ap and ww flours, mixing very well. Cover and let rest 15 minutes. Stir in sea salt, olive oil, and 1 cup each of ap and ww flours and mix well. Mix in another cup of ap flour, then add some ww flour, mixing until dough is fairly stiff and then remove it to a dough board and begin kneading, adding more ww flour as needed, kneading until dough is just a bit sticky. Continue kneading for a total time of about 15 to 20 minutes until dough is fairly smooth and elastic. Place dough in a lightly oiled bowl, rolling dough about until the surface is completely oiled and then cover with plastic wrap and allow it to rise until doubled. Punch down, remove from bowl (should be about 80 oz. of dough) and divide in 3 or 4 pieces – for 3 x 27 oz or 4 x 20 oz loaves. (I make 3 freeform loaves (could use 9”x5” pans) or 4 loaves in 4”x8” pans.) Cover loaves with plastic wrap and allow them to double before baking at 400F about 25 to 30 minutes (adding some moisture to the oven at the start if you can). Before baking the loaves can be brushed with a mix of about 1 Tbs water and 1 Tbs milk, some oats can be sprinkled on, and they can be brushed with the water/milk mix once more if desired (or just spray with water).

Cheers! Andy
PS I also highly recommend the Ace Bakery recipe for Focaccia at www.recipelink.com - but you need to use a KA or equivalent as it's a highly hydrated dough.

2010 Jan 9
Link works fine for me ... is it not working for anyone else?

EDIT: ug - DNS issue! I just fixed it but it will take a while to propagate.

2010 Jan 9
Thanks zym & Andy!

2010 Jan 10
It entirely depends on the type of bread you want and how you're making it.
I use a stand mixer, so most of my breads are fairly simple.

My favourite? Bittman's Olive Oil Bread

3 cups flour
1 packet yeast

(mix in food processor or stand mixer with hook attachment)

add:

1/3 cup olive oil
1 cup lukewarm water

mix.

let rise for anywhere from 30 minutes to 2 hours (or let sit in the fridge for up to eight hours.

shape as you see fit (I usually do either a rectangular loaf or two baguettes)

bake at 425F for 20 minutes, then lower to around 350 and bake another 15 or so.

2010 Jan 10
I go through waves of breadmaking, depending on our family's schedule. I use several different recipes but one of my kid's favourites and ours is from The Book of Bread by Judith and Evan Jones. I've altered the original to suit us.

Buttermilk, Yogurt or Sour Cream Bread
makes about 3- 8" loaves

2.5 (generous) tsp instant yeast
3/4 cup warm water
1/4 cup brown sugar
3 cups buttermilk, yogurt* or sour cream* (*thinned to consistency of buttermilk)- I use yogurt
9-10 cups flour (I use a mix of about 25% whole wheat and 75% bread flour)
2 Tbsp kosher salt (or 2 tsp table salt)
6 Tbsp unsalted butter - cut in small pieces

Heat the buttermilk to lukewarm and make a sponge with 1.5 cups of buttermilk, approx 4.5 cups flour, yeast, water and sugar. Stir well or mix with KA for about 2 minutes. Scrape down bowl, cover with plastic wrap and leave in warm place for about 45 minutes to an hour until it swells and bubbles on top.

Meanwhile, dissolve the salt and melt the butter in remaining buttermilk, reheating as necessary. When sponge is ready, add this lukewarm mixture along with all but 3/4 -1 cup remaining flour (if by hand) or all the remaining flour (if with KA) and mix together, then knead for about 10 minutes until dough is smooth and resilient.

Remove dough let rest for 5 minutes, clean bowl and oil or butter it. Return dough to bowl, turning to grease and cover with plastic and let rise until doubled (at least 1 hour),

Turn out dough, punch down and form into loaves or buns. Place in greased pans, cover lightly with towel and let rise until doubled again.

Bake in preheated 425 oven for 10 min then lower heat to 350 and continue to bake for 30 minutes (less time for buns).

Enjoy!

Another source of inspiration and lots of bread recipes is the blog: breadbasketcase.blogspot.com/
The author made all the breads in Rose Levy Beranbaum's book "The Bread Bible". I've not done anywhere near that, but I do have the book and have made many of the breads - never had a bad one. Her challah recipe is the best I've tasted.

2010 Jan 10
My link above should now be active for you

2010 Jan 10
check out the Kolach from Perogies take out..1129 Baxter Rd., www.perogi.ca

2010 Jan 10
I just made my first batch from an on-line recipe. I love to hand kneed, so call me crazy but... turned out pretty good! I do have a kitchen Aid as well, so will likely use it as well Lady who brunches.

Thanks for all the recipes. I will be sure to try all of them!

Still looking for a good french and rye bread recipe or anything else on the more exotic side!!!

Cheers,

2010 Feb 7
hey Barb, how's the breadmaking going? Your first batch looked good (and plentiful too) - I had hoped you'd be posting more pics as you continued on (I'm hoping you have made lots more good bread!).
I made some 100% whole wheat bread yesterday that's very good for an all whole wheat - I used all organic, stone ground Red Fife wheat that I got at the Bulk Barn; I wanted to suggest to you (if you don't already know) that it's s good place to get assorted grains, whole, rolled or ground for using in your breadmaking. I get barley, kamut, rye, teff and other flours there for breadmaking.
Yesterday I also made a version of that Pumpkin Cinnamon Raisin bread (linked to above) using applesauce,, dried cranberries and walnuts that I almost couldn't get enough of as toast for breakfast - so good!

What breads have you been cooking lately? Have you tried making any flatbreads?

2010 Apr 23
I wish I could say that I have gone knee deep into bread making but between vacation, work and well renovation planning, I have only made bread 3 times since starting up again. I have to try a few more of the suggested recipes that were posted. I do see getting back into this big time in the fall when our own reno is done.

I belong to a food buying coop and we purchase from Grain process which supplies natural food and bulk stores in Ontario. I get my flours and grains from them at really super prices.

Your version of the raisin bread sounds super!

2010 Apr 24
My recipe is on Youtube, really really good and easy.

2010 Apr 26
Hi Barb. Bread does take time and it sounds like you have too many demands for your time; fall is a better time to get back into breadmaking so good luck getting back in then. In the meantime you can always try some fast breads if you do find some time - like pita, naan, or single rise breads like this Moroccan Anise Bread, Ksra, from www.sudairy.com that I made recently to eat with this Berber bean dip called Bessara (from www.sudairy.com) and I made the bread again this weekend to have with hummus. It's a verrry tasty bread with a lovely anise flavour that was also surprisingly good as toast with honey and made a good sandwich with sunflower seed butter even better.
Maybe we'll hear more from you in the fall! Then we'll know you have found a bit more time to do what you want to do.