Food to Sneak Into The Movies [General]

2009 Dec 29
Thanks to PejDaddy for this idea ... see ---> ottawafoodies.com <---

What are the things Ottawa Foodies like to sneak into the movie theaters ?

Considering movie theaters charge astronomical prices for their goodies, (When does one pay $200 for a kilo of popcorn ?) I like the idea of sneaking in some treats.

Myself, I'm guilty of taking in some good chocolate and intersting candy ... like the ginger candies I get from Trinidad/Tobago.

Please ... no self rightous answers like "Oh, That's ILLEGAL" or "The Megaplex could never pay their employees if people sneak in food"

Maybe I'll sneak in some Khat ... when ever I can find some. See ---> ottawafoodies.com <---

2009 Dec 29
LMFAO!

depends on the occasion, here's some of the stuff i've brought in to enhance the movie-going experience:

-bottle of truffle oil to drizzle on popcorn
-starbucks coffees
-godiva chocolates or interesting chocolates
-goodies from nearby bulk barn
-large bottle of water
-subway

never had a problem. just walk in plowing like you own the place. if anyone protests, ignore and give the whatever brush off body language.

2009 Dec 30
if you go see a film in kanata, the best thing to do is stock up on candy at the walmart in the centrum mall (it's a five minute walk) across from the theatre. my friends did that all the time, and thankfully were able to put them in our bags.

some good snacks to bring:
& chocolate covered espresso beans
& homemade trailmix (cashews, almonds, dried cranberries, sesame seeds)
& carob bars
& pretzels
& san pellegrino/perrier water with lime
& lays baked salted potato chips

considering the stories i've heard from friends who have worked at movie theatres (not talking about fight club's tyler durden's pranks) i try not to eat the food.

2009 Dec 31
I usually don't eat or drink anything at the movies... but I also tend not to go for mindless stuff, so consumables distract me from the experience. :) The only times I may take popcorn sometimes is at the Bytowne or Mayfair. But I just don't tend to get hungry watching movies.

Pej, I had to chuckle at "godiva chocolates or interesting chocolates " - because definitely to me, the two are mutually exclusive. :) :)

2009 Dec 31
Bytowne is the only place where I will buy popcorn, although I'm partial to the ridiculously salty topping that AMC offers.

I have been known, however, to stop off for Jujufruits.

2009 Dec 31
I'm strangely addicted to the ICEEs available at AMC... I like sneaking in Galler chocolate or Bulk Barn goodies.

2009 Dec 31
I've been known to pick up a couple different gummy candies at Bulk Barn before a flick.

2010 Jan 1
No big deal to bring in goodies, but REALLY Old School if you have the nerve to sell what you bring to other patrons ;-)

Is that illegal?

Now that I think about it, I think a GREAT treat to bring to a movie would be a couple 'meat pies' from Alladin's Convenience. They are easy to transport, very yummy, and make no noise at all when consumed (unlike chips and popcorn).

2010 Jan 2
I'm in a similar boat to Niall—I usually don't eat at all at the movies—but I'll play along.

For me, the key qualities for snuck-in movie food are that items must be easy to eat without utensils, have minimal mess, must travel well, and not be too pungent.

So no steak diane (needs a knife, fork, plate, tablecloth, and a sommelier to recommend the wine) and no donairs (needs a zillion napkins, smells of a thousand garlics)!

Pete's meat pie idea is what I was thinking of: spanakopita, those cute little cocktail-party-sized samosas, and b'stilla are all delicious, aren't too messy, and are flavourful without being reeky.

Spring rolls might work, too. Or even a really good sandwich. Swing by Nicastro's/DiRienzo's, get something to your liking, and go to town.

Or a Ziploc bag of soup. Consumed through a straw.

2010 Jan 2
All interesting ideas but the idea of a sub with meat odours wafting over my seat during a movie is a definite turnoff (I'd politely ask that person to change seats). Potential substitutes should smell no stronger and make no more noise than the venue's industrial popcorn.

2010 Jan 2
subs rock LMAO!. you forget burger king, taco bell, KFC also sold at theaters...

funnily enough, the last time i brought a small bottle of white truffle oil and drizzled it on my popcorn, everyone around me wanted to try it. sharing is caring. it was fan-****in'-tabulous and they all thought it was a great idea. who would have thought the umaminess of truffles which is compared to mix of smells from dirty socks, mildew and sex would wafting over my seat would generate such a hit...

www.saveur.com

if theaters sold premium snacks like popcorn with truffle oil, i'd bet attendance and sales would skyrocket.

2010 Jan 2
Arugula,
if the smell of the sub would offend you never go to The Colosium at Bayshore when they show Indian movies. Everyone brings a picknick of Samoosas, pakoras,chapati's etc.

I dont mind as I love Indian food and the movies are great.

Pej, I agree with you on the premium snacks, would love popcorn with Truffle oil!!

2010 Jan 2
always bring a mini bottle of sparkling wine and usually bag of humpty dumpty sour cream onion rings. they go great together.

2010 Jan 3
I was at Sherlock Holmes last night, and was amazed at how short the lines were at the concessions. With a bag of Skittles + regular pop coming in at over $9 it's no wonder. I can only assume that we (OF) are not the only ones considering avoiding the concessions... I wonder if they will just keep raising the prices to make up for falling sales. Are you listening Gerry Schwartz?

2010 Jan 3
HFF - Awesome idea!

While riding the Champers idea, why not bring blue cheese and icewine? OK, that might fly a bit in my "no pungency" policy, but it's worth it.

2010 Jan 3
As I live minutes away from SilverCity Gloucester, I've become a frequent movie goer (usually about twice a week). I'm not much of one for eating during a movie, but I do enjoy a nice drink. That being said, paying $5 for a pop doesn't make me feel overly nice (and besides, I don't drink pop anyways), so instead I hit up the Loblaws in the Gloucester Centre and pick up some of Odwalla's fabulous Raspberry Pomegranate Limeade.

Besides that, I don't really feel compelled to consume anything else during a movie. If I did, though, you can bet that there's no way I'd pay concession stand prices! Crazy... they easily double the cost of an afternoon / night out to see a movie.

2010 Jan 3
CAPT CAPER, I will not be self righteous about this subject, since I was a former manager at one of the big theatres here in Ottawa. But I can tell you bringing in burgers, soups and other "meals" do distract other patrons.
And CAKELADY and ARUGULA are correct about those odors. Can you imagine watching a movie and the smell of a big, juicy burger just hits you. Some people would move, others would sit there and complain to us after. I just think to myself, why didn't you just move?
As well as chip bags or other cellophane wrapped items. But with these, it's just a matter of courtesy and keeping the noise to a minimum.

I remember buying a taco from the bell and brought it into the auditorium. Made a big mess and noise. I guess that's why they stopped allowing it past the ticket taker.

If I do buy popcorn and drink, I choose the large refillable. I save the bag and sometimes the cup (washed) and bring it with me next time I watch a movie. Just leave a big of kernels in the bag and pop in a couple of ice cubes in the cup before going to the theatre.

2010 Jan 3
I almost always bring a cup of coffee and something sweet into the movies. We usually pick up coffee at Bridgehead or make it at home if we're going to the Bytowne. Sometimes we also get that triple chocolate brownie from Bridgehead or I just bring cookies or whatever portable dessert we have.

Haven't checked the offerings lately but I would buy good quality dark chocolate at the concession stand I would buy that. And if the Bytowne or Mayfair sold wine and beer I would probably partake of those.

The chip wagon across from the Mayfair is really good so I've also gotten fries to take in, but I do try to avoid anything that might be smelly.

It is sort of pathetic that I can't sit through a two hour movie without a snack, now that I think about it!

2010 Jan 3
The Mayfair was selling some DiRienzo's sammies a while back, didn't see any the last time I was there (maybe they were sold out) but I thought it was a great idea!

2010 Jan 4
The Mayfair offers an organic smoothie collection too - such a good idea. I usually like a drink over food during a movie, and as such I've been known to sneak in my own smoothies or juice.

2010 Jan 4
Wine and beer at the movies. Man, I miss Europe.

2010 Jan 4
Getting Beaus at the Mayfair was much fun.

2010 Jan 4
In Toronto, my movie theatre combo (...my any time combo, now that I think about it...) was some sweet banh mi and 99c Arizona iced tea. Or some ghetto-fab 2 or 3 buns for $1 Chinese buns (bbq pork, curry beef, hot dog, it's all good). Still looking for goodies in Ottawa.

I'm also a fan of the Bulk Barn strategy. The bags are much easier to deal with; I always awkward trying to open the wrapper of a granola or chocolate bar during a PIVOTAL SCENE. :/

2010 Jan 5
Whenever I find myslef at the Rideau Centre theatres, I make sure to stock up on sandwiches. If I'm in a hurry I grab them downstairs at what used to be Movenpick's, if I have time I stop at Nicastro's for a custom job. I'm pretty sure the smell of it as I unwrap it causes a certain degree of envy among the other patrons.

2010 Jan 5
Sub envy - I love it! Stop staring at my 12" and get your own! Awkward...

2010 Jan 10
Our family is a fun of movies and since we live close to South Keys Cinema we always stop by Wal-Mart to get popcorn with butter and salt (the one in the black package), we tend to sneak it in the bag of my children..also juices or water are always in the back-pack.. (I'm a mother of 3 children, so movie tickets + food to purchace at the hteatre become pricy for us.. )