Need a friendly recommendation [General]

2009 Dec 27
This is a strange request for a foodie website but I figured that I would get wider selection of answers. Plus, none of my friends are particularly from Ottawa.

Can anyone recommend a good eye doctor? I need to get my eyes tested so that I can get more contact lenses etc.

An optomistrist is fine(as opposed to an opthomologist, who are more difficult to book).

In addition, approximately what will an eye exam cost here in Ottawa (rough estimate)?

Thanks to anyone who can help me out.

2009 Dec 27
I'm partial to mine; can't remember what I've paid for an exam, though. (I lost stuff switching from Microsoft Money to Quicken.)

They're in Barrhaven, though. PM if you're interested!

2009 Dec 28
Pan Bagnat - Have been going to the same eye doctor now for about 20 years... he is in Kanata though, so don't know if that is convenient for you. I understand they are always open to new patients. Not sure what they charge for an eye appointment (think I heard somewhere though that most spots are charging around $ 50).

PM me if you want more info.

2009 Dec 29
I think it ranges from 50-60$, I went to the place in Merivale Mall (just have to book appt. /w glasses store beside them if the eye doctor is closed. I don't remember his name but I remember him being extremely friendly. Not sure if you have Costco membership, but they do eye exams there also (it's not any cheaper though...). Also the problem I found with Costco is that if you want to get contacts measurements from the eye doctor...she did a weird measurement or something so the only contacts that match are the ones they sell there. I tried looking to see if I could get another kind off the internet or somewhere else on sale and because of the measurement on the prescription I couldn't, and I know I've gotten other brands before~so it's not because my eyes are weird shaped!!

2009 Dec 29
I, to go to the Merivale Mall location. Actually have an appointment for tomorrow. Always get an app. and they are helpful.

2009 Dec 30
Goodness! I went to the optometrist at St. Laurent and they charged me $100! Oh well, at least the insurance covers it...

The optometrist himself was incredibly nice though, and very interesting to talk to which is good because eye exams are really quite boring :)

2009 Dec 31
Just went 2 weeks ago and it was was 60$, at Laurier Optical on Elgin street. Most places chages around 80$ when I called. Costco is your best bet, but the waiting time was over 3 months when I called and I could not wait that long....

2009 Dec 31
Just my 2 cents, but my eyes are very important. I try to see my ophthalmologist once a year ,although I think once every 2 years would be fine for most people. (I , unfortunately had a retinal tear that I didn't know about and it needed immediate surgery!).
I believe the cost of a routine checkup including contact lens fitting is around $150 - the price of one meal for 2 at a nice restaurant and a small price to pay for the well being of my eyes. It isn't too hard to get in to see one of the doctors at the clinic I go to - PM me if you'd like a recommendation :)

2010 Jan 1
My wife and I both use Dr. Noel on McLeod ( www.yellowpages.ca ) and are quite happy with him. I have no idea what the eye appointments cost though...

2010 Jan 2
Wow! Thanks for all of the help guys! I phoned Costco and got an appointment for March as I am not in a huge rush. I know that I am due for new glasses this year. Their appointments are $55.

I wasn't concerned about the cost I just haven't had one here in Ottawa so I wasn't sure how much to expect. Eyes are definately worth the investment and you've only got one pair!

Thanks again!