Christmas Pudding [Recipes]

2009 Dec 21
Anyone make any kind of Christmas Pudding and have a recipe they'd like to share?

I mean one of the ones that I think you bake and serve with sauce over the top.

2009 Dec 21
we just buy a small christmas pudding, cover it is brandy and set it on fire. it is more about the flashy presentation than the flavour of the pudding.

2009 Dec 21
Not for me - I definitely want to make something. My father used to make something that was really yummy - I'll have to ask him what it was. But that was 20-some years ago so who knows if he'll remember?

2009 Dec 21
The Christmas Pudding that know is the steamed for hours, then served covered with flaming brandy. It's my Christmas ritual to make a couple of these bad boys which are laden with unhealthy fats, sugar & alcohol ;)

If that's the kind of pud you are looking for then I follow a Delia Smith recipe (we ex-Brits follow the goddess Delia, and especially like food laden with booze).

This isn't the exact recipe I have, but it's very very close. My puds are currently going for the 1st 8 hour steam, and smell wonderful ...

www.deliaonline.com

Cheers,
Ratty

(P.S. Zym - One of the key ingredients is good stout, so how cool would it be to make your own pud using your own beer ... I don't bother with the barley wine, I just double up on the stout)

2009 Dec 22
When you say you "double up", what does that mean? 1 for the pudding, one for the cook? :-)

2009 Dec 25
Are you still looking for a recipe? I have 2 family heirloom recipes I can share. Both are make ahead and practical. We steam them in pint jars, they seal and when you want one, you just heat up the jar in a hot water bath for about 1/2 hour and scoop it out. They keep forever, even to next year!
A jar from your pantry makes a lovely gift. Nowadays, I always make the Carrot Pudding recipe.

PLUM PUDDING (From my Scottish Grandmother)
2 1/3 c Suet (you can substitute butter)
2 c Flour (to start with)
4 c Bread Crumbs
1 c Candied Peel
1/2 # each of Raisins and Currants
4 Tbsp Molasses
6 Tbsp Sugar
4 Eggs
2 c Sour Milk
A little Cinnamon, Nutmeg, Cloves, Salt. Steam 8 hours in pint jars.

CARROT PUDDING (From my Norwegian Grandmother)
Combine and set aside:
3/4 c Flour
1/2 tsp Baking Pwdr
3/4 tsp Salt
3/4 tsp Cinnamon
1/4 tsp Allspice
3/4 c Raisins
3/4 c Currants

Cream together in a bowl:
1/3 c Butter
1/3 c lightly-packed Brown Sugar

Dissolve 1/2 tsp Baking Soda in 1 beaten egg, and add to creamed mixture

Stir in:
3/4 c grated raw carrot
3/4 c grated raw potato
3/4 c soft bread crumbs
Add the flour spice mixture. Don't over-mix.
The dough resembles carrot cake, but stiffer.

Method 1: Turn batter into a 1 qt well-greaded mould. Cover with foil and tie in place. Steam for 2 1/2 hrs, then uncover and place into a 350 deg oven for 10 min. Re-cover and store in fridge. To reheat, steam for 1 hour. Serve hot with lemon sauce or hard sauce.

Method 2:
As in the 1st recipe, we dollup it into pint jars and can them in a canner.
As I recall, I don't think they need more than a couple hours.

Enjoy!!