Ottawa Citizen article on the Golden Palace [General]

2009 Dec 21
Not sure if I would have Golden Palace egg rolls on my death bed, but they are damn good!

www.ottawacitizen.com

2009 Dec 21
MedicineJar - Seems great minds think alike, we seem to have been working on this at the same time, I had just completed a search to find the Website, only to come back to find you had posted the topic.

It was a good article... and very informative as to the process (and a bit about the secret recipe). Makes me think I'll need a fix soon.

2009 Dec 21
love those egg rolls

some of the best gwai lo Chinese food in the city

2009 Dec 22
The "fried in lard" bit helps explain why the egg rolls are so gooood!

2009 Dec 22
I like what monty describes about gwai lo Chinese food. Yes. Golden Palace is certainly another gwai lo Chinese food. My friend was "forced" to have lunch at Golden Palace because of a request from her customer. She was told that "This is the best Chinese restaurant in town and has the best egg rolls". I asked my friend how the food was. Her answer "typical gwai lo Chinese food" and asked me not to bother to try. LOL.

This also reminds me of my niece's husband. He is an American gwai lo. My niece told me that he likes Chinese takeout very much and always ordered Chinese takeout every week. He visited Toronto with my niece and had Chinese food for a whole week (e.g., Dim-Sum for lunch, Shanghainese noodles, northen Chinese food like Xiao Long Bao, Cantonese Chinese dinner, etc.). After that week's visit in Toronto, he has stopped ordering Chinese takeout. This is what my niece told me and I just laughed very hard.

2009 Dec 22
good tasting egg rolls are fried preferably in lard because the wrapper won't soak up as much of the saturated fat as all other oils. the egg roll isn't as oily compared to beign cooked in vegetable oil; however, being higly saturated and a solid fat at room temp, excessive lard consumption will clog your arteries.

2009 Dec 22
haha Ashley. for many gwai-lo, Golden Palace is the only type of Chinese food they are exposed to. they have never tried real Chinese food and have definitely never tried anything like dim sum.

i still like GP. my girlfriend and i order take-out of egg rolls, s/s chicken balls, chicken fried rice, chow mein, and General Tao's from Canadian Chinese restaurants once in awhile! reminds me of being a kid.

2009 Dec 22
Speaking of deep fried food . . . how about some chemicals with that (to make it safer):

toronto.ctv.ca

2009 Dec 22
I do enjoy the differentiation between "Chinese" and "Canadian Chinese" restaurants when saying what you're in the mood for.

(Full disclosure: I leave the differentiation there, rather than breaking it down further to "Szechuan" or "Cantonese" or "Han" or "Hakka" (oh wait, you can't get Hakka in Ottawa darn our luck).)

Sometimes, you just need an egg roll and some garlic spare ribs and chicken balls in an unidentifiable red sauce. It fills a need.