ideas for turkey organs? [Cooking]

2009 Dec 20
OK, my wife won't put them into the stuffing.

I could turn them into cat food but would sooner eat them myself.

Ideas?

I have them from 2 turkeys.

2009 Dec 20
1 suggestion off facebook so far - giblet gravy!

I love that idea especially because I've had a real hankering lately for gravy!

2009 Dec 21
Zymurgist: You could make pate with the liver, and the heart and gizzards are a bit tough so you have to confit/braise them for a pretty long time to make them tender.

I often trim as much skin from the turkey as possible without compromising the roasted bird, and then add a small splash of water and render the fat over low heat in a tiny saucepan. Once you have a bit of fat to cover the organs, poach them in the fat until they are fork tender. You will also get some marvelous cracklings once the skin gives up most of it's fat. Works even better with duck or goose.

2009 Dec 21
I went with the gravy idea - here is what I did.

You may recall back in March when I lost my job I was making a lot of videos. I did one on making chicken stock from 9 carcasses I got at the 158 market. Well, I first did 1 batch just with the carcasses, then I got another 9 and brined them first, then did another batch. That 2nd batch turned out really dark from the carmelized sugars, and way too salty. But I canned it up anyway. It was perfect for the gravy!

I took 2 x 500ml jars of that broth and 1 x 250ml jar of chicken fat that I canned up at the same time from those same birds, and put that and the organs into a 3L pot. I used my hand blender to blend it all really fine as I slowly brought the heat up.

I added :
- about 1/8 tsp fresh pepper
- 1 tsp each thyme and summer savory
- 3 tablespoons corn starch

Slowly brought it to the boil and dumped it into a 1.5 quart mason jar. It is absolutely fantastic! I'll use some of it for our turkey saturday and can the rest up! Yum!

2009 Dec 21
Here is my idea.

2010 Feb 1
Just opened a small jar of this for boy #1 who insisted he would not eat his pork tonight without gravy. Hey, that's cool by me - he ate the pork! And now we get to plan meals for the rest of the week that will use up the rest of the gravy - win, win!