Truffles...Where to get them? [General]

2009 Dec 19
I have a wonderful recipe for scallops with truffles, but I have no idea where I could get them in Ottawa. Does anyone know where I could get some? Also, I know they're expensive, but just how expensive are we talking? Prohibitively so? If they're up there with the price of gold per ounce, then I can forget about it; )I would love to hear all about your experience with truffles!!!

2009 Dec 20
Amuse, I PM'd you.

Right about now, Alba white truffles and fall burgundy truffles are at the end of the season. Black winter truffles (perigord) started out a few weeks ago and are hitting their stride in maturity...

I don't know of any retail outlets that sell fresh truffles, but I've seen canned, brined and infused truffle products at a variety of gourmet food stores. Watch out for inferior products... also, remember, truffle oils are largely flavoured with synthetic flavorings these days, not infused with REAL truffles.

As far as price goes, Alba whites are the most expensive. Fall truffles offer great flavour and are usually much less expensive (1/8-1/10'th the price). Prices vary on a weekly basis, if you're buying from a reputable supplier (means they have a steady flow coming in/going out). I'd expect to pay about $300 for a whole white truffle, $100 for a black, and $40 for a fall truffle, give or take about $10-15 depending on size (usually about 1oz-28'ish grams).

Cheers!

2009 Dec 20
You can get black truffles from the byward fruit market at a reasonable price. I was in on the weekend and saw a sign saying they had some. I did not buy any this year or last, but have always gotten them fresh from the byward fruit market for many years.

A few years ago I also saw some at the grocery store in the mark whose names escapes me (its at the end of the parking garage and 4 or 5 stores down from Aubreys.

Cheers

BTW, here is a recipe with truffles and scallops I have done many times though before cutting the puff pastry make sure the circle will be big enough to wrap the scallop (the one in the recipe never was for me! Now I always eyeball it before cutting!)

www.danielnyc.com/recipes.html Select Maine Sea Scallops in black tie (a direct link to the recipe is not possible)