does self-raising flour change with age? [Food/Vendor]

2009 Dec 17
i recently made a batch of iced ginger shortbread. the recipe calls for self-raising flour, which i had in the cupboard. i found these tasted salty and wonder if it was the flour? there is no salt in the recipe and i used unsalted butter.

thoughts?

2009 Dec 17
self raising flour contains additives.

Baking powder and salt have been added in ratios ranging from 1/2 teaspoon to 1 1/2 teaspoon double -acting baking powder and 1/4 tea spoon to 1/2 teaspoon salt per cup of flour.

Iced ginger shortbread!!ahhhh it sounds yummy!!!

2009 Dec 17
thanks. maybe i will try a batch with regular flour that i add my own stuff too. the recipe is great. my friend's scottish mom makes it all the time, it was a family recipe.

here it is, if you are interested.

iced ginger shortbread

base:
4 ozs butter
2 ozs sugar
8 ozs self-raising flour
1 teaspoon ginger

cream butter and sugar together. add flour and ginger (mix ginger into flour first) and mix well. press firmly into a parchment lined baking pan (small square). bake at 325 for 30 minutes

icing:
4 tablespoons icing sugar
1 teaspoon ginger
2 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon of Lyle's golden syrup (key to success!)

while shortbread is cooking heat the above gently, stirring occasionally, until smooth. while both icing and shortbread are still warm, pour icing over shortbread. cut into squares when cool.

Notes:
- the dough for the base will be very floury, this is ok. it will correct itself when cooking.
- lyle's gold syrup might be with regular maple syrup, or corn syrup or in the baking aisle.
- i add finely diced candied ginger to the base sometimes.

2009 Dec 18
hff: Thank you for posting your recipe! I love ginger, I am going to bake this shortbread this weekend! :)