Gourmet Magazine gone... [General]

2009 Dec 16
www.msnbc.msn.com/id/33177867

another casualty in the rapidly declining publication/newspaper media industry of which many are operating at such large deficits.... i really enjoyed Gourmet magazine.

2009 Dec 16
Pej:

This is old news, buddy! Newspaper is problematic because its operating budget is based upon advertising rather than subscription revenue... and of course in a recession who has money to advertise?

2009 Dec 16
thanks LWB,

woops!!!!, i miss out as i enjoy staying away from newsmedia (no cableTV, newspapers etc) and do my own thing. i was surprised and news to me that Gourmet is gone as I usually pick up a good issue at costco and inquired why they no longer stock it and the staff said it was cancelled.

2009 Dec 17
Wow, I will miss it. I have to say though that for the past few years I have noticed when buying both Bon Appetit and Gourmet that they would often have annoyingly similar content, which pretty much defeated the purpose of buying both. I'm surprised that they chose Bon Appetit as the one to continue since I think Gourmet has been around longer.

2009 Dec 17
I noticed the same content similarities between the two. I used to have a subscription to Bon Appetit, but I let it expire. I was starting to get bored with the approach; breathlessly telling you what city/chef/trend/whatever was "hot." The articles never seemed to go into much depth and were staring to seem like of advertisements. In the end I was reading it mainly for the recipes, of which I'd make, like, one or two per month.

I started buying Cooks Illustrated instead and I love it. Each issue is a pretty in-depth discussion of techniques and gear. That appealed to me more as someone who likes to cook.

2009 Dec 18
i like gourmet's website over bon appetites'. the video battles between in house chef testers, and also videos of chefs doing recipes from there books. plus bookclub of the month was awesome

2009 Dec 18
They also switched all Gourmet subscriptions to Bon Appetit ones when Gourmet folded. Then had the gall to ask the Gourmet subscribers to "renew their subscription to Bon Appetit". The one they had never chosen. Yeah....

That was my mother's mainstay. No idea what will work as a replacement gift for her.

2009 Dec 19
OK, this will likely be my first and last venting on the subject.

Got my first replacement issue of Bon Appétit in the mail, and was saddened to find that they gave one of the "retail sale" copies with all of the frigging text on the front! Man, I'm going to read it cover-to-cover anyway, so you don't have to tell me!

2009 Dec 19
I truly loved Gourmet magazine. When I went to Paris I brought the Paris edition with me, and I was never disappointed with any place I ate that they recommended. It was better than a Michelin guide. Also, 3 of my Christmas dinner recipes are coming from that magazine. I guess I'll have to settle for Bon Appetit now, but it's just not the same. At least Gourmet still has the cookbook. Sigh.

2009 Dec 24
For what it's worth... NY university is holding the archive of the magazine

dinersjournal.blogs.nytimes.com

2009 Dec 25
I kept all my issues, also have back issues going way back in time, passed along by friends. Whenever I make a special meal, eg am doing a party, I have a thoroughly enjoyable time browsing for new ideas.
I was getting tired of the approach, much like urbanroutir's comments.
Here's hoping they do not yank the recipes that are already posted.