foursquare [General]

2009 Dec 13
Has anyone tried out the site www.foursquare.com ?

It is a very cool concept, and also you can find out if your friends may be close to you - or even at the same place.

One of my professors just told us about it, so I signed up the other day. Very cool.

They have apps for phones also, hopefully the one for blackberry will be released this month.

This is what their homepage says:

We're all about helping you find new ways to explore the city. We'll help you meet up with your friends and let you earn points and unlock badges for discovering new places, doing new things and meeting new people.

Find me as Jessica Proulx :)

2009 Dec 13
Once the BB app comes out, I'm there! Hopefully as Momomoto.

2009 Dec 15
Yes, I can't wait for the BB app!

I just think this is so handy, and could totally be utilized for Ottawafoodies!

2009 Dec 16
I'm trying out the app. Can't guarantee that I'll be updating my location all the time, but it could be fun to sync up when we're out and about!

2009 Dec 26
I just got invited to use the BB app, and it is fantastic, can't wait until the full version emerges.

How do you like it so far FF?

2009 Dec 28
It's fun to see where my friends are, but I haven't crossed paths with anyone yet. It's only a matter of time though!

It looks to be much more useful than Google Latitude has ever been.

2010 Jan 21
Just incase anyone is looking for the blackberry applications --- it is now available at: foursquare.com/blackberry/beta

Feel free to find me, and add me as a friend at foursquare.com

2010 Jan 21
And I'm here: foursquare.com/user/warby

I usually check in when I'm at a restaurant!

2010 Jan 22
I too joined foursquare and noticed some of my favourite establishments are not listed. I will have to change that-;) However they don't seem to have a list of Ottawa restaurants that are already in foursquare - I have to search by individual restaurants. Am I missing something?...

2010 Jan 22
Pasta Lover - are you using the web or the application?

2010 Jan 22
I am using the web.

2010 Jan 22
Unfortunately, I have yet to find a way to find a list of everything in the city on the website. I am hoping it is a feature coming soon.

Also, when you search for a restaurant on the web, try searching by alternative spellings - some people are idiots. If not add them :)

When you use the mobile applications it will use the gps on your phone, or the the closest cell tower to find a shortlist of the closest restaurants to where you are, which is much easiest than having to search for the place every time.

Since they have officially went worldwide last week, I am sure we will be seeing a lot more features popping up over the next little while.

2010 Feb 6
I am foursquare.com/user/-155081

Foodies feel free to add me :-)

2010 Feb 6
So does this thing automatically pipe everything through to twitter? Or is that something user has to configure? Because honestly, as a twitter user who really has zero interest in foursquare, I find it annoying to be seeing that stuff. I have already made a conscious decision not to use foursquare, so I don't really want to see it via twitter. I'm actually on the verge of unfollowing one friend in particular who has foursquare stuff flying through twitter all day long.

2010 Feb 6
Zym, you don't have to link it to your twitter. Mine isn't linked.

2010 Feb 6
It's fully configurable. You can choose to "crosspost" between foursquare, twitter, and facebook each time you check in to a place. I sometimes crosspost to twitter but never to facebook.

One thing I love about twitter is that (unlike facebook) you can "unfollow" anyone without guilt. It's the sluttiest of social networks and that's a good thing. When I see the same post go to someone's twitter *and* their facebook then I chop them out of my twitter feed. Life is too short for redundancy! Life is too short for redundancy! ;-)

2010 Feb 6
Do they get a notice if you unfollow them on twitter FF?

2010 Feb 6
Not directly, although I'm sure there are 3rd party apps that alert you if someone unfollows you. Twitter isn't about friendship; it's about tapping into the hubbub and extracting only the parts you want.

2010 Feb 7
You can choose which individual checkins you would like to send to either Facebook or Twitter. Sometimes I choose to send to one or the other, but sometimes I won't post at all.

And yes, if you follow mrunfollower on twitter - you will get a direct message whenever someone unfollows you.

Also, for anyone interested I found this pretty cool article on the great uses for foursquare.

Top 10 Ways to Build Your Business in 2010 with Foursquare bit.ly/72B0jz

2010 Feb 17
OT

Funny, but not practical, Zym. Who's to say that these people don't have security systems, other family at home, or simply aren't worth robbing.

(I will say though that Please Rob Me's use of Google Ads is very accurate).

2010 Feb 17
Addicted to it and I'm looking forward to when more Ottawa people start using it!

foursquare.com/user/klwatts

2010 Feb 18
Funny, I first heard of foursquare reading this post a few days ago. Today reading the BBC news site I came across this article news.bbc.co.uk

I assume zym's post referenced the same story (can't access the link posted?).

A couple of Dutch programmers developed a site that scours foursquare tweets for location info posters share. Moral of the story... be careful of how much information you share.

Just an FYI.

2010 Feb 19
Please ... Rob my house.

pleaserobme.com/