zataar [General]

2009 Dec 13
Hi there, does anyone know where I could buy zataar? My Dad wants some for Christmas. I don't have a car so I'm looking for a source that's in walking distance: the Byward market, downtown or the Glebe.

2009 Dec 13
If it is not too far, I think I saw some za'atar at Sultan supermarket (Bank and Hunt Club, by bus route #1 or transit way #97 to South Keys stop and walk ~5 minutes), their number is also listed if you wish to call ahead before visiting the store.
foodpages.ca
www.ottawafoodies.com

In the market, places you might try (ie I haven't look/seen it there but they might have it...)

Byward Fruit Market ottawafoodies.com/vendor/1314
Made in France (they sometimes carry spices mix such Ras'el hanout so maybe Zaatar too?)ottawafoodies.com/vendor/1619

There might be some at Shiraz grocery store on Somerset too ottawafoodies.com/vendor/1427

2009 Dec 14
Do you mean the spice, or the flatbread concoction that often goes by that name?

2009 Dec 14
i have seen the spice mix at the shiraz market - the corner of sommerset and percy. they also sell the best spinach and feta pies and almonds. if you want it on a pita, go to the middle east bakery next door. yum!

2009 Dec 15
+1 for Shiraz

2009 Dec 15
Or make your own to ensure freshness... lots of storebought mixes are pretty stale.