Japanese community event on Dec 6 [Events]

2009 Dec 4
MOCHITSUKI (rice pounding)
www.ottawajapanesecommunity.ca

Sunday, December 6, 2009
St. Anthony's Soccer Club, 523 St. Anthony Street (near Preston)
1 - 4 pm
Members, Seniors and Students: $2.00
Non-members: $4.00
Children under 12: free

Mochi $5.00 - limit of five (5) plates of mochi at a time Udon $5.00, Sekihan $3.50, Daifuku $1.00 Boxed Sushi: $11.00 and $6.00
Juice and Green Tea $0.50
OJCC Craft sale, Book sale, Used goods sale

Performances:
Odori 1:30 pm, Dagaku Taiko 2:00 pm, Oto-Wa Taiko 2:30 pm
Door prizes at 2:00 pm and 3:00 pm!

2009 Dec 9
I had been considering attendance with some of the others from my Dojo (Iaido and Jodo), but was too busy unforunatly. Hope it was fun.

2009 Dec 9
Jagash: I couldn't go to this event :( but my friend told me many ppl came to the event. She enjoyed food and bought many daifuku ( mochi with sweet red bean paste inside)

Do you practice Iaido and Jodo? Wow,that's so cool!! I didn't know there is a Dojo for Iaido and Jodo in Ottawa!! I would like to try!

2009 Dec 9
*blink* I thought that Jodo was obscure even in Japan. We would love to have you; we are at the Tateyama dojo just south Bronson and the Queensway. www.tateyamadojo.ca/main.html

I primarily practice Jodo (you can contact me for info) while Sensei Green ,whose information is on the site, is an excellent 7th Dan sensei in Iaido.

2009 Dec 9
Sadly I missed this too - due to an error on my part. I clearly had it in my calendar for Saturday, but when the reminder came up I thought it was one of my usually 24 hour reminders and that the event was actually on Sunday :-(

Aisu, you may also be interested in Aikido perhaps, as long as we are all pimping our dojos :-) We do a good amount of jo and ken, and even some tanto. And we have Sensei Green from Tateyama in once a week for a proper Iaido class.

ottawaaikikai.ca/

Best of all, we have classes a 6am on MWF, because who DOESN'T want to be getting their ass kicked at 6am?

2009 Dec 9
Zym - I've always been interested in Aikido (Steven Segal sold me on it :P ) I was wondering if beginners are usually roughed up right off the bat, or do they take it easy on you until the next year? I haven't been too active in quite some time, so I break my body. Judo when I was 16 or so. And how long are the classes?

2009 Dec 9
Most Aikido dojos let you go at your own speed no matter how long you have been around. So it is not uncommon to have people who have been there for years who do not want to get roughed up. It is your body afterall, and we are only privileged to be able to make use of it :-)

Have a look at our class schedule online - classes are either 60 or 90 minutes depending on when you go.

ottawaaikikai.ca

Beginners can go to any class except the ones marked "Advanced".

Your first week is free.

2009 Dec 9
back to thread topic (w/ a quick +1 shout-out for Judo, haha), i didn't make it either ... thanks to a friend's diligence, though, i did get to sample some of the daifuku/mochi. Fresh is good: yum, much better (chewier, heartier) than the brand Loblaws carried. ;-)

www.ottawafoodies.com

2009 Dec 10
Jagash:I would love to try, thank you for the info :) I have to organize my schedule first! How many years you have been practicing?

Zym: Sorry to hear you missed the event.
So you are taking Aikido class? wow, many Japanese martial arts Dojo in Ottawa! I had no idea! Thank you for the link above, I will check it out.

itchy feet: Nothing better than fresh, soft daifuku with green tea! Lucky you!!

2009 Dec 10
Yes, I've been doing Aikido for 5 years now - 4 of them at that dojo. And yes, there are lots of Japanese Martial Arts in town - and even still many traditional dojos not this MMA crap^H^H^H^Hstuff :-)

2009 Dec 10
I have been practising Jodo for just over 4 years at this point in time and must say that I enjoy it a great deal. We are a fairly traditional dojo led by an unusual Sensei. He has one leg and practices without any external assistance. Feel free to show up any sunday for relatively normal classes, though we might have a one to two week pause due to the holidays.

2009 Dec 10
I've seen him practicing Iaido Jagash - pretty impressive.

Just sent you a PM btw