New Tapas and Wine lounge in Kanata [Food/Vendor]

2009 Nov 24
There will be a new Tapas and Wine Lounge opening up in Kanata across from AMC theatres, where "Cravings" used to be. Apparently they will be serving ALL FRESH food, nothing frozen. All the food will be delivered daily because they don't have room for a freezer or cooler. Everything will be homemade, including some cheeses. They do their own canning too.
The only downside as you can imagine would be the leftovers from that day. Hopefully not much will go to waste.

They are slated to open Dec 1. They will serve lunch and dinner. They will also have an oyster bar. I'm not a big fan of oysters though.
It will seat about 40 people. I remember going to Zavida's/Cravings to grab a bite, and it was a fairly small place.

I plan to try out the lunch menu for now. Then we'll see what the dinner menu has to offer.

2009 Nov 25
I'm not sure if we're talking about the same restaurant, but a friend of mine said it has opened and she's been already? Hm...time to go ask her again...

2009 Dec 3
Did anyone find out more information on this place? And if so, what is the name of it? Do they have a website? Thinking of meeting up with some friends for a few drinks next week...

2009 Dec 3
I think its called Bin 790 and it's not open yet; should be soon though, next week perhaps?

2009 Dec 3
The owner also owns Wildwood Chophouse in Stittsville. They will be open 11am to 10/11pm depending on the day. I am also waiting to try it out. My friend works at AMC and she will let me know once it's open.

2009 Dec 3
Evidently they participated in the Kanata Chamber of Commerce's annual Food for Thought in November along with their sister property Wildwood Steak Chophouse who has in the past... the full name will be Bin 790 Tapas & Wine Lounge... I don't have any news though on when they'll be open (or confirmation if they are already). BUT, I do think they'll be a good addition to the Kanata Centrum (if they can attract enough interest... the space they'll be occupying has gone thru a series of incarnations, because although it is a popular spot in the summertime... it is a wind tunnel in the wintertime, and people "run" out the AMC and right to their cars).

2009 Dec 3
Thanks for all the information everyone. Can't wait to try it. If you can keep me posted, I would be truly grateful. I agree it will be a great addition to the Centrum.

Talk about a wind tunnel....I was at Mexx today and there was barely anyone in the area. I felt bad for all the restaurants (and stores). I guess they make enough money on hockey nights in Kanata to make up for it.

2009 Dec 5
MmmmJ, the stores are Centrum pay significantly less rent than those at Rideau, or in other malls in the city. Most exist as retail outlets, including the Mexx store, which is how they end up turning a profit.

I'll be curious to see how this pans out for them; I'd like for there to be some culture in the suburbs, but I'm skeptical.

2009 Dec 5
Yes Lady Who Brunches, I know that. I guess I need to be more specific for YOU, I meant the restaurants, I felt bad for the restaurants that do not have many other outlets.

2009 Dec 22
Hi everyone!
Just wanted to let you all know that Bin 790 is now open for business! There is no sign up yet, but for anyone who knows where "Kravings" used to be its in the same location (between Ox head and the Sushi place). The place looks great and the food is amazing (try the duck confit shepards pie YUM). The wine list is great with a few very original additions. Apparently there will be a website soon. The lunch and dinner menu are the same for now but they said they are going to be doing a lunch/brunch menu soon. . They offer 3 oz. glasses of many wines too which is perfect if you want to try out a few different types! Anyways just thought I would let everyone know a little about my experience and let you all know that they are now open!

2009 Dec 24
Just an addendum to my earlier comment...Kanata is the size of a small town, Centrum? Well, it's called that for a reason. In the evenings, regardless of the night of the week, it's adequately busy with shoppers and movie goers as well as those going to the hockey games. I'm not trying to beat a dead horse, it just really does't surprise me all that much that the restaurants are able to turn a profit.