Williamsburg Tea Room [General]

2009 Nov 14
Hi all:

We had an unexpectly "foodie" adventure on Remembrance Day I'd like to tell you about. Apparently, you can make any little thing into a fun adventure, and we've discovered a nice little eatery to recommend for those who want a bit of a country drive.

With nothing better to do and needing an excuse for a country drive, we headed down to see the last remaining "original MacIntosh apple tree"--a hundred-year-old graft of the original discovered in Dunella, Ontario, down near Williamsburg, just north of the 401. About 40 minutes' drive down Highway 31 (Bank St.).

We saw the mural, we saw the plaque, then we visited Smyth's Orchards down the road and saw the last tree....All of which, though low-key, was fun. I bought a quite large pie-pumpkin for only a buck, and the apples were crisp and delicious (well, MacIntosh)....They had lots of other food products and 2nd hand "antiques" for sale, and we bought two old bone-china tea cups with no chips in them for $5, and a little pot of home-made caramel sauce for caramel apples...I'll serve it on my home-made vanilla ice cream beside my pumpkin pie!

Then we stopped in Williamsburg at the Village Antiques Tea Room and B&B. It's run by two very nice fellows who have "shared their lives since 1983" (it says so on their website :-) They had a very nice looking light lunch menu, but we opted for splitting a cinnamon coffee cake and Earl Grey tea.

Service was splendid--he divided up the cake on two plates (without being asked), and finished both with huge dollops of whipped cream, a generous dusting of cinnamon, and garnished with two wedges of pineapple. It was divine.

As we were leaving, we heard that the meat pies were out of the oven, so for $12 we brought one home for supper. Wayyy good! Better than even the best tourtiere I've made (and I make the best...) I may take one home for Xmas and lie about having made it...

They care they took, and the quality of the food, makes me think we will head down there for dinner some time! www.bbtearoom.com/

2009 Nov 14
Glinda - Thanks for the lead. Although I probably won't get around to check this out until next Spring (we do a lot of crusin' along the Seaway in the summertime) I do appreciate the info.