Lunch for six or a luxury car? [General]

2009 Nov 6
Just saw this on Waiter Rant: waiterrant.net/?p=1520

IMO, there's no way 6 diners could savour that much expensive booze enough to justify the cost -- no matter how much money they have!

Foodwise, I hope the truffle carpaccio was excellent. ;-)

BTW, the meal was purportedly paid for by Roman Abramovich -- Russia's richest person, worth $11.5 billion.

2009 Nov 6
and that's only lunchtime ;P

check the timestamp on the bill!

2009 Nov 7
Reminds me of ExpenseASteak.com!

Too funny about the timestamp...and the $39 spaghetti?! I've never seen a pasta dish at that price point!

Edit: Bloody hell, missed the $30 asparagus.

2009 Nov 7
Boggles the mind. I would think that a $39 spaghetti could be within the realm of reason, depending on the restaurant. The fact that they _had_ the wine is stunning and that is the nicest tip in the history of mankind I think. $7328.20

Just wow.

2009 Nov 7
The other rumour I heard was that there was a $5000 tip given over the 20% gratuity included in the bill.

2009 Nov 7
Holy! I could retired my serving pouch with tips like that!

2009 Nov 8
Wow, just wow.

Although, 6 people and 7 bottles of wine? You would have to roll me out.

You could almost duplicate this at La Baccara. Their wine list is also very.........varied.

2009 Nov 8
Wow, I've once seen a $1000 restaurant bill (dinner at Cafe Henry Burger for 10 people - and no, I wasn't paying!) but this certainly tops that.

Now, how can I get invited to a lunch like that??

2009 Nov 8
$1000 is prety easy to do. My wife and I and two other people went to Beckta for New Years eve, and the bill was a fair bit into the four figures.

La Baccara has many wines in the 10k range. Looking for the big winners from the tables I guess... :)

2009 Nov 10
Pasta dishes in the $35 to $40 range?! Sheesh! I just whipped up a mean arrabiata sauce last weekend - I think I'm in the wrong line of busines-;)

2009 Nov 10
My gosh, Omnivore, you live in such a rarefied environment, I'd be scared to breathe the air around you!

I was pretty regularly broke around that time, so a 1K dinner party was enough to take my breath away.

That being said, I looked up reviews of Nello's on Tripadvisor.com and the consensus seems to be that people eat at this restaurant just so they can say to others that they ate at this restaurant!

Pasta lover, can I have your recipe for arrabiata sauce? I love it but haven't found a good recipe for it.

2009 Nov 10
Likely, if you can afford to eat at this restaurant on any sort of a regular basis, you can also afford a luxury car...maybe two?

This reminds me a little bit of the Fairmont Banff Springs, I believe my husband's soda was $7, and an appetizer of ravioli (which was 3 pcs) was $21.

2009 Nov 14
Ouch!

Pretty rough reviews on that place all around, sounds like one of those places for people with more money than sense...

I can see La Tâche and Pétrus being on the high side depending on the year but $5,000 for a magnum of Cristal Rosé is retarded...

I guess Abramovich can afford it, check out the top 100 super yachts, I think he owns 5... yachts.monacoeye.com

2009 Nov 14
Treqx - I've been a boat person for quite awhile... so I appreciated the website... biggest yacht I ever saw was in Fort Lauderdale... at the time I wasn't into sailing so I didn't make note of any details, other than the fact that it was a "blue bottom" and had a heliport. Kicking my butt now, wish I had taken more notice.

2009 Nov 15
When I was in San Fran recently, there was a bar (in a hotel) which had a robust list of liquor by the bottle. A 'lowly' bottle of Crown Royal would run you (I am not making this up) about $400. It was populated by old guys in grey suits, and young, sometimes pretty things, NOT in grey suits. I was probably the only guy who spent his time staring at the plasma screen 'paintings' who's subjects would occasional move, sort of like the paintings in Harry Potter. (And no Monty, I was not drinking any green fairy that night)

2009 Nov 17
Ms. Foodie I posted my arrabiata sauce in the recipe wiki if you are interested in trying it. If you haven't visited the wiki section of this website yet you will notice across the top of the page you will see "home", "buzz", "forum", etc. If you click on the "wiki" link there is one there for "recipes". My arrabiata sauce in listed under "mains". As for chillies, I usually get little bags of Thai chillies in Chinatown for $1. I always have some handy to toss in stirfries so I tossed a couple in the arrabiata sauce when I made it.

2010 Jun 28
I follow gourmet on twitter and they recently posted the following article in one of their tweets: www.shoppingblog.com