Beef Wellington [General]

2009 Oct 31
Does anyone know of a restaurant in Ottawa that serves Beef Wellington? I have never tried it, but I watch them make it on Hell's Kitchen all the time and it looks really good.

2009 Nov 2
foodluver I don't know about any restaurants that serve beef wellington but M&M sells it.

2009 Nov 2
it doens't look too hard to make. wrap some filet mignon in pastry and make a gravy. go for it!

2009 Nov 2
I made a pork wellington for Thanksgiving. I wrapped a pork tenderloin in Serrano ham and wrapped it in some pastry and baked it at 375 for about 30. It was dead easy and people loved it. It would work with a beef tenderloin too, it just might need a bit longer in the oven.

2009 Nov 3
my mom makes beef wellington regularly and it is very easy. there is something spread on the meat before the pastry though. it can be expensive to make, depending on your cut of meat and it is definitely not heart smart :)

2009 Nov 3
I make a duxelle of mushrooms with herbs rather than the pate normally used. Very tasty and a special dinner treat.

2009 Nov 5
I've made more Wellingtons in my lifetime than one can dream of
both individuals and whole beef tenderloins for buffets/brunch

varieties:

duxelle as mentioned above

duxelle + foie gras

foie gras + truffle

Speciality ham and high end cheese

blah blah

easy to make
spendy yes
the trick is to cooking it properly is to get the internal temperature correct
rare and well done are sometimes asked for but difficult to attain
MR-M seems the nicest

2009 Nov 5
There is a really good recipe in Fine Cooking magazine Jan 2001 for individual Beef Wellingtons. I've made them for Christmas dinner and they are a showstopper. Quite a bit of work, but hey it is a special occasion.

2009 Nov 8
I think the Wellington Gastropub once had a Beef Wellington appear on their menu, other than that, I haven't been able to find a restaurant in Ottawa that serves it. If you fine one, update - It's one of my favorite dishes!