T&T Shopping List Favourites [Food/Vendor]

2009 Oct 29
Hi Everyone,

With T&T Supermarket having their Grand Opening yesterday (Wednesday, October 28, 2009) in Ottawa... I thought it worthwhile to create a Forum Topic where folks could talk about some of the products that T&T carries, as well as favourites that perhaps some of us other Ottawa Foodies who are not quite so familiar with should try.

For anyone wanting to check out T&T's Website you'll find that at www.tnt-supermarket.com/en/

2009 Oct 29
Yoghurt Drink and rice cakes :)

2009 Oct 29
2nd day @ T&T, very easy now, crowds are more manageable.

picked up today:

-LOBSTER $4.99/lb. back in stock now, this time it's max 2 per person, 3rd+ is regular price of 7.99.

-DUCK(frozen whole) $8.88/1.3kg

-2 dozen BROWN EGGS for $3.98

-assorted sushi.

2009 Oct 29
My friend from out west says that their pork buns are to die for...I'm looking forward to seeing for myself if she's right. I love me a good pork bun : )

2009 Oct 29
According to the news from Kiss FM,
1. 10.000 ppl visited T&T yesterday!
2. One full aisle is used just for soy sause! I wonder what kind of soy sause I can find!
3. Fresh live fish in the tank.( you can pick the one you like)
4. Sushi bar offers 22 kinds of sushi.

I really hope they will open the store in kanata some day!!!!

2009 Oct 29
Aisu Kurimu - Lol, those same stats were on the local tv news as well, I can't remember the number but when it came to sushi they quoted feet in the display case... end to end (think it was something like 28 feet of sushi). And considering a display case would be 3 or more feet wide. That is a lot of sushi.

2009 Oct 29
Just wanted to share what my gf bought at T&T.

The well known Pocky and Hello Panda cookie snacks. A cup of soup...don't know why. Gummy candies. And this I found interesting. The bag with the lamb or ram is the same soup base from Mongolian Hot Pot. So we can have hot pot anytime of the year...if we feel like huddling around the stove.

2009 Oct 29
A bag of fruit jellies and red bean rice cakes. We also bought mocchi ice cream. They also have Green Tea or Chocolate flavours.

2009 Oct 29
On your left you'll see a can of fried eels. And underneath the chocolate sticks she bought two packs of strawberry and mango pudding packs.

In addition to these snacks, there was a white gelatin that she devoured. And some fruit juice drinks and had gelatin inside. Almost like a bubble tea.
As for myself, I bought a beef tenderloin ($3.98/lb) and the popular lobster @ $4.99/lb. The lobsters were individual sized. I might have to buy more. 6 egg tarts for $3.99.

As I was in line for the lobster, I saw them "mallet" a fish for a customer. Not something I wanted to see, but I guess necessary.

2009 Oct 29
Try the Silkie chicken...with the black skin in the freezer aisle..the bones are also supposed to be black as well. Don't ask me why, but this is supposed to be very good for you, the blacker the better. It is usually used for making chicken soup with ginseng or other assorted herbs.

The silkie chicken at TnT is free range and comes from Wing Tat Game Bird Farm in Surrey, BC. There is quite an Asian market for free range fowl, not for ethical reasons, mostly for the better taste and flavour.

2009 Oct 30
Oh, thanks for the info on Silkie chicken! I saw an item listed as "Silkie" in the flyer, and was wondering what it was. Now I know! Why is the skin black - is it smoked?

Interesting the reason why free range fowl are preferred by East Asians...guess the rest of us are too used to that tasteless chicken served up on styrofoam plates. I remember once we bought some fresh chicken in Malaysia and roasted it plain, with the skin on. It was so flavourful it tasted like fried chicken!

2009 Oct 30
Silkie chicken is black throughout, including meat and bones. It is a breed of chicken nothing is done to make it black except that it was born that way :)

2009 Oct 30
According to Wikipedia, Silkie chickens are one of the oldest breeds of bantam chickens, which are much smaller and tastier than your garden variety Foghorn Leghorn. The feathers can be white or black, but the skin is always black. As the saying goes: once you go black, can't go back...

On the topic of free-range fowl, the taste is definitely worth the extra cost. The skin is usually slightly yellow, as is the fat, compared to factory farmed chickens. There is no better sign of a really good chicken soup than the sight of yellow drops of chicken fat floating on top.

2009 Oct 30
Food and Think: Wow, they are so serious about sushi! I should go and check things out :) Everybody asks me if I have been to T&T (yup, because I am Asian)
Even my prof asked me this question today (during the baking practical exam!! lol)

monkey feet: Do you like pocky? When I was a little kid, (like 30 years ago )there was almond cream coated pocky. It was so yummy. I wish I can buy it still. Strawberry is my all time favorite. I don't know why the package is so small. As long as I can remember, the package is always this size.

2009 Oct 31
AISU - I do enjoy pocky very much. It's basically a cookie, but not round. I enjoy sweets A LOT! I have been snacking on the sweets we bought from T&T and now I feel I have sugar overload!

I'm sure they have or will have the almond cream pocky at T&T. Or just make it in your pastry class. :D

I just tried the mochi ice cream and it was good. Not great. I just felt like I was eating a raw pastry dough with flavoured filling.

2009 Nov 2
Not Asian - but my kids and I love pocky! I tried to stop at T&T on Sunday - line ups out the door. Decided not stay given I had all the kids in tow, and my wife was waiting with the youngest in the van.