Recommendations: Coffee Shop-Kanata [General]

2009 Oct 29
Can anyone recommend a nice quite coffee shop in Kanata/Stittsville. I am looking for nice desserts and beverages. Anything other than Starbucks please!

Thanks so much!

2009 Oct 29
Bad news: There honestly isn't that much. It's bizare, but there is surprisingly little though people tend to head on down to Westboro.

There is one place which appeared fairly recently and of which I have heard some good reviews from family.
ottawafoodies.com/vendor/1547

2009 Oct 29
I've heard some good things about Kravings too. The Italian restaurant in the Holiday Inn actually has ok desserts and coffee. If you want to go just a bit further out, Cheshire Cat pub on the corner of Carp Rd and Richardson has some great desserts - home made by a few local women. I'd go for a porter/stout more than a coffee here - but I'm sure the coffee is ok too.

2009 Oct 29
Stubbe's has a shop in Kanata, right in the corner of the mall across from Sobey's (corner Hazeldean and Terry Fox). I'm pretty sure that they serve coffee and desserts (of course very yummy!).

2009 Oct 29
The Bohemian Kitchen in Bells Corners might be a good spot, I've only ever driven by it so I can't vouch for the food or coffee: ottawafoodies.com/vendor/1480

2009 Oct 29
Hungry Girl Fan - Ah ya, something that Kanata is sorely lacking... although I haven't been to any of these "hidden gems" lately (so I don't know their current status) here are some that used to be favourites:

Forte - to be found in the Farm Boy Market Mall... they specialize in Gelato and Chocolates, but usually have some sweet pastries & cakes as well... and offer a place to sit and enjoy a cuppa. www.fortechocolate.com

La Provence Bakery - La Provence ... Alas no where to sit and have a coffee, but they do have amazing cakes, patries and breads. laprovencebakery.ca

Now if this was 20 years ago... the best place in a good part of the westend was found in Kanata, the Kanata Tea Room used to be in the Katimavik Medical Centre ground floor (round back) they had these to die for homemade desserts (cheesecakes of varying kinds though were the house specialty). They used to serve just tea, coffee, dessert and lite-lunches. Eventually they became very very busy, and moved over to Palladium Drive and opened a full fledge restaurant... that too was a big success. Within a couple of years the owner retired (if I recall she had a son that died tragically, and her heart wasn't in the place any more). And this little gem was no more.

Sad, because it was both a fabulous Tea Room and a very successful Restaurant, and one of Kanata's best for many years.

Too bad no one has used the original model (which as I say was very successful on its own... long before Kanata was a huge suburb) and opened a great place for tea, coffee and decadent desserts.

2010 Oct 14
Hay, I just went to this new place in Kanata, its a crepe and coffee shop. Its called Luna Crepes and Cafe, it just opened. I wrote a review about it. You should check it out, its really cool. The address is 329 March Rd. same plaza as the home hardware. It has free wifi and they make their own gelatos.

2010 Oct 16
Thanks I'll check it out!

2010 Oct 16
Was going to say Stubbe has a location in Kanata and also one in Torano (toronto).
Stubbe is good for desserts and cookies and at the downtown shop they usually slice a couple of cakes every day.
And they usually have apple strudel and other things.

Their coffee is not that interesting, it is fine and good.
They also sell tea.

2010 Oct 18
That coffee/chocolate shop beside Farm Boy on Hazeldean Rd. is pretty good. Have no idea what it's called, but the cappuccino I had last summer (I think) was great and the owners are very chatty and friendly.

2010 Oct 19
Yessi: The place is called Forte. When I worked in Kanata I chatted with the owners quite a lot and agree that they're super-nice.

2012 Jan 25
Has anyone tried Gaia Java on Stittsville main street? They apparently roast on site and you can buy just the beans as well. I'll pick some up tonight but was wondering if there was something that was absolutely a must try.

2012 Jan 25
I don't drink coffee, but live and work close-by. My coworkers hold Gaia Java in very high regard.

2012 Jan 25
Picked up some beans from Gaia Java and had a chat with the owners. The beans were roasted 3 days ago and smell wonderful, can't wait to try them tomorrow. I bought a latte and it was quite good.

It looks like I've found where to buy my beans from now on. I hope their business is good and gets lots of customers, this seems like a really nice local business to support.

2012 Jan 26
There is a little place off March Road on Klondike called the Sippy Cup Cafe. It is in the same plaza as Shoppers Drugmart.

2012 Jan 31
I have been to Gaia Java and thought it was ok although it does smell excellent in there.

Sippy Cup Cafe makes great coffee and the owner is a great guy to talk to and its closest to my house.

Another place although not really a coffee shop is the counter in Grace Kitchen on Hazeldean there coffee is great but on the expensive side.

2012 May 27
I have tried a few of these places. The sippy cup is nice and has a spot out the back for kids to play. There is also a place down in Richmond called Bakers Bean Village Cafe. My friends speak very highly of the place and brought back some of the best scones I have ever had in my life.

2012 May 28
I do like the lattes at 442 Coffee Bar (inside Grace in the Kitchen) on Hazeldean Road. Their bean is Intelligentsia Black Cat Analog.

2012 May 28
Seconding Grace in the Kitchen. They do good bean.