Pulled Pork Sandwiches [General]

2009 Oct 27
One thing I miss foodwise about the US is all the BBQ restaurants. Little family type hole in the wall places with excellent BBQ food and sides. Pulled pork sandwiches were always the best there. And usually it was in the "bad" part of town. Well worth the trip.
Is there anywhere in the Ottawa area that does a *good* pulled pork sandwich?

2009 Oct 27
Well I've never been to the American BBQ restaurants (unfortunately), I am a HUGE pulled pork lover. I haven't been able to find it nearly as good as at the BBQ festival that comes to town but when I need a fix I go to the Foolish Chicken. Again, it won't be the same, but for me, it's the best in Ottawa; and by all means if anyone has any other suggestions then please share because I would love to try more!

2009 Oct 28
It's not a restaurant but The Piggy Market does great pulled pork.

2009 Oct 28
Baking Bombshell - Always on the lookout for a good Pulled Pork Sandwich in Ottawa... todate the best locally in my experience so far have been:

Jean Alberts - LeRoy's

And the Annual Hockey Day in Canada Pig Roast (in the Parking Lot) at PJ Quigley's - P J Quigley's

Of course if you want really really good authentic Bar-B-Que then there is only one place to go.... Dinosaur Bar-B-Que in Syracuse. (sigh)

2009 Oct 28
Baking Bombshell - you've touched on a subject near and dear to my heart: Southern BBQ.

Jean Albert's is very good, D&S BBQ looks good as well based on Lord of the Wings review (I haven't had it yet).

On the flipside, I would *avoid* having the pulled pork from Buster's Bar and Grill, it's way too sweet and served on a ciabatta bun, which is too dense for this type of sandwich.

2009 Oct 28
Best pulled pork I've had so far was at the Ottawa foodies meet up. Can't remember who made it, but boy was it good :)

2009 Oct 28
I do believe that was supplied by Food & Travel courtesy of the BGE. It was pretty darn awesome - so was the slaw. Somehow I have a feeling that it is not readily available on a continuing basis.

2009 Oct 28
F & T - Mmmm - the Dinosaur...haven't been there in years! Awesome BBQ, for the Northern States ;-)

My sister lives in Memphis so we go get our fill as often as possible. We were down there for Memphis in May this year at the BBQ Competition.

There are no words to describe the smells and tastes from that place.

Pig heaven :-)

2009 Oct 28
It is worth the trip up to Wakefield to try Bistro Rutherford. It is in the Black Sheep Inn building and they have a good PULLED PORK sandwich on the menu, as well as many great homemade entrees, burgers, homemade mac and cheese, homemade soups etc.

BTW glad to hear you enjoyed our sandwiches at the meet up!! My hubby has that down pat for sure.

2009 Oct 29
make your own!

stay tuned for another 'monty BBQ tutorial'

2009 Oct 29
Monty - "D@mn Right"... apologies to our good friend Pe-tah (Peter)

2009 Oct 30
Sounds like I have a few to try out! Thanks for all the ideas.

Chimichimi~ Too sweet is a big complaint of mine. Lots of sauce is great but having it too sweet is just sickly. Doesn't work at all.

Jojo~ Memphis is where I got into BBQ! I discovered ribs on Beale St and then BBQ at Porky's. I can't believe I didn't gain a LOT of weight living there. *G* I remember there were days at work that would have the afternoon off for pig pickins.

2009 Oct 30
Great pic Monty. Pulled pork needs good rub then a vinegar sauce instead of a real sweet sauce.Cider vinegar,ketchup,brown sugar, salt, tobasco ,red pepper flakes and black pepper. The North Carolina way.