Curry leaves and bay laurel [General]

2009 Oct 27
Hi,

I am trying to find two plants/tree to keep in-house. A Curryleaf tree and a bay laurel one. Does anyone knows where I could buy it on Ottawa, otherwise in MOntreal or Toronto. Richters in TOronto is out of curryleaf trees apparently from their web site catalog info. Ottawa location would be most convenient.

Thanks guys !

2009 Oct 27
Let us know if you find curry - would love to have one of those too!

2009 Oct 27
you could phone the herb garden (located in almonte). they sell their plants in the spring and are closed for the season, but they might know where to look.
www.herbgarden.on.ca

i've found many unusual plants from them that aren't carried at the garden centres.

also, phone knipples. the staff there is awesome.
www.knippelnursery.com/

2009 Oct 27
Hi,

Thanks I will check the nursery you mentioned...

I have been browsing for a while and just found a place near Montreal called Flora Exotica it looks amazing from their web site anyone had any experience with them before ?

Thanks !

2009 Oct 27
You can buy clippings on the stem of fresh curry leaves at Vaishali's, perhaps you could ask them of their source?

2009 Oct 27
My wife bought me a bay laurel at Artistic Landscape Design on Bank St.: www.artisticlandscape.on.ca/. I had one for years that picked up scale from a plant left behind by the previous homeowners but finally tossed it after years of trying to eradicate the scale. I had a hard time finding bay but she did one day at ALD - lots of plants full of scale so she and a salesman hunted for one that didin't have it and found one. Yippee! Little did we know that it did have scale and it eventually surfaced. It's in remission right now but I still check it frequently and attack with no mercy.
So, EmmaD, scrutinize the plant, wherever you find it, for the dreaded scale - you have been forewarned! It is an insidious insect, and impossible to get rid of on large bays, no matter how many hours you spend searching and wiping with soap and alcohol-laden Q-Tips, and spraying with soap and alcohol. Do I sound bitter? Yes, I am...

Speaking of plants can I add the kaffir lime to the list of plants being looked for? That's one I haven't seen in Ottawa. I've tried starting a slip from my fave Thai grocery but no go on that.

Good luck with your hunt.