All Things Cheese [General]

2009 Oct 7
I'm new to the cheese world and would like to share my new 'hobby' with the rest of Ottawa. Like fine wine, there is a real story behind cheese, where its from, how its made and milk type...It's a little overwhelming but with some help I'm sure to become a real cheese connoisseur. I stopped into a cheese shop on Bank st. the other day and fell in love. After trying a few select types of cheese I have found a great source for the first few entries into my cheese journal. I can't wait to go back (payday).

Cheers,

Big Cheese

2009 Oct 7
cheese journal? *snicker*

2009 Oct 7
Welcome Big Cheese. Are you sharing these discoveries on another website (blog?), or were you going to relate your cheese experiences here in a forum?

Don't mind monty... he's just jealous ;-)

2009 Oct 7
Big Cheese:

I find Ottawa pretty good for locating high quality cheeses: I tend to get mine at La Bottega/House of Cheese/International Cheese & Deli in the Byward market and at Il Negocio Nicastro on Bank Street.

I'm slowly learning about cheese, my partner is Corsican and to say she takes cheese seriously would be an understatement! Maybe I need a cheese journal...

2009 Oct 7
Big Cheese - Well as a wine enthusiast I can totally relate... the world of cheese is indeed about as big and has a lot of variety in types, styles, and places of origin. I think that keeping a journal for notes is a good idea.

Since becoming far more serious about my wine interests / knowledge, I am also discovering more and more about cheese as well... but my primary interest is wine (and keeping just that journal keeps me busy enough). Look forward to you sharing your discoveries with us here on the OF Forum.

2009 Oct 7
I can't tell you how lucky you are in Ottawa with your cheese selection.

In 2005, I came back from France with all kinds of great cheese experiences and was eager to hunt stuff down back in Manitoba.

My god- almost no french cheeses and whatever was available was an arm and a leg. Even domestic cheese is quite pricey.

When I moved here about a year ago, I would wander through the market cheese shops on the way home from school. Heaven! And the prices and sales were amazing. Even Costco here carries a better selection and price point then Costco in Winnipeg. Lots of choice in Gatineau as well.

I will admit I had my own cheese diary in France. I needed to write what I liked and what I did not. There were so many local cheeses, I could not keep up!

2009 Oct 9
Hey ya cheese lovers,

Thanks for the words...I would love to "blog" about my cheese discoveries, I'll keep you posted. For now I will be just giving shout-outs to the Foodies.
I keep a journal because when I die people will know how crazy I really was. And my memory is like swiss (he-he),so its helps to class the variety and plan my next taste voyage.

Yesterday: Serious Cheese (old Ottawa south) Bank st.

Beemster- Duch, grade A cows milk, 26 months.

It has a nice creamy taste, with hints of nutty (pecan) and a rush of whiskey/Butterscotch to finish.

A nice sweet taste from start to finish I would love to eat this with rich red wine, And try it in a grilled cheese sandwich. (now that's classy)

It has 20% less than most other cheese. Good to know.

Cheers.

2009 Oct 9
Big Cheese Welcome to ottawafoodies. I also keep a foodie "journal" of sorts which is really a scribbler like the ones we used in elementary school-;) But I just use it to jot down names of products I like (a new cheese, my favourite peanut sauce, etc.) so I remember what to look for the next time I go the store.

We have lots of nice cheese shops in Ottawa so you will find lots of places to get your cheese fix. My favourites are the House of Cheese (great imported cheese), International Cheese (nice selection of Quebec cheeses and Lebanese delicacies), and La Bottega.

When it comes to a soft cheese I like Lincet cheese from Chaource with a nice firm rind and molten in the centre. As far as local cheeses go my favourites are both the blue cheese and the pine bud cheese from Canreg Farms (they have a stall at the Lansdowne farmers market).

I look forward to hearing about your cheese discoveries.