Heading to Paris.... [Travel]

2009 Oct 3
Hi all,
I am heading to Paris on Wed for a few days and wondered if any foodies out there had any recommendations for either restaurants, foods to try (croissants and baquette of course) or any other food related advice.
Hmmm I guess I'm not allowed to bring home a truffle...? :)

2009 Oct 3
FoodnTravel - There are a few listing for Paris on the OF Travel Wiki... check them out.

Remember, as per the Travel Wiki, you can always contact the OF Members who referred them for more info.

2009 Oct 4
Thanks Food&Thinking, I always forget about the Wiki.

2009 Oct 4
Wow, I am sooo jealous.

If you are an oyster lover, definately profit in the time of year. There are oysters galore there from now until Christmas.

Definately must have a street crepe. I like the ham, cheese, egg and mushroom.

I've always been told to avoid the "tourist alley" restaurants in le Quartier Latin.

I have heard wonders of Fauchon but have never been. www.fauchon.com

2009 Oct 5

Definitely check out the Market on Rue Mouffetard (I particularly enjoyed the roasted quails), it's definitely on Saturday mornings, not sure what weekday it runs, but it is impressive. There are a quite a few nice affordable places around Rue Mouffetard as it is an area highly poulated by students. I'd encourage you to definitely hit up as many bakeries as you can if you have a sweet tooth. Les Halles is another famous market area.

I also second the Oyster/raw seafood bars they always looked great, a bit expensive (like almost everything) but certainly a worthwhile treat.

Wine and cheese picnics on the Seine. Morning coffee in Montmartre...actually there are a lot of nice deli/butcher/take away food shops in Montmartre. I've never eaten in a lot of resto's in Paris so I don't have super strong opinions about that...but I would quickly check NYTimes travel section as they have had a few stories in the last 6 months or so about new, affordable places in Paris doing interesting French cuisine.

2009 Oct 5
My wife (Fat Cat) and I were in Paris last year. Two HIGHLY recommended restaurants we went to: (also listed in the Wiki :) )

Le Relais de l’Entrecôte. If you want Steak Frites this is the place to go. It is the only thing they serve, when ordering they only ask "how do you want it done?" One of the best steaks I have had, and a phenomenal sauce, and really inexpensive (for Paris). While we were there at 10:00 PM on a Tuesday, the line up went out the door, and there were no tourists here (other than us)

La Rôtisserie d’En Face. If you want something a little more upscale, this is the famous chef Jacques Cagna's 2nd tier restaurant. Right across the street from his premiere restaurant. Unblelievable meal in the traditional French quisine. Jacques Cagna even came by and visited us during our meal! Not cheap, but worth every penny.

Don't forget to have pastry and coffee for breakfast and then find a place for a proper 2 hour lunch. Eat like a true Parisian.

2009 Oct 5
Thank you so much. This information will be going in my portable notes for the trip. I will post a report after the trip. High on my priority list is the relaxing cafe and pastry thing for sure.
Only 2 more sleeps!

2009 Oct 6
have fun - paris is one of my favorite cities.