frogpond farm winery [General]

2009 Oct 3
has anyone been to frogpond farm winery? is it worth visiting? i will be in the area thanksgiving weekend and will need an excuse for a break from the family.

if not frogpond, any other small scale wineries you would suggest? i love lailey, but would like something new.

thanks!

2009 Oct 3
I was at Frogpond last year. It was good but I have to say the wines didn't make a huge impression on me or the other members of our group. It was just kind of meh.

For small and awesome, I would definitely suggest any of Malivoire, The Foreign Affair, or Peninsula Ridge. I've been to all of them and the wine and customer service are both great.

2009 Oct 3
HipFunkyFun - For proximity to Niagara-on-the-Lake, 3 of the smaller wineries that are getting some local "buzz" are:

Frogpond Farm Winery - Because they 100% Green, and 100% Organic (the only Winery Certified as Organic in Ontario). www.frogpondfarm.ca/main.html

Ravine Estates Winery - Because evidently they have some decent wine, and of course Olson Foods have relocated there from over in Port Dalhousie. www.ravinevineyard.com/

Cattail Creek Family Estate Winery - Because it is a "family" run winery... which there is definitely a shortage of in the NOTL area... many of the BIG Corps seem to have a tight fix on the area. www.cattailcreek.ca/

My next trip to Niagara, I hope to check out the above 3... of them I'd say I am most excited about what I am hearing out of Ravine... both wine and food wise. St David's Bench is coming on like gang-busters these days. I know that BDM paid them a visit recently see the Forum topic entitled - Niagara-on-the-Lake Restaurants - www.ottawafoodies.com

Don't know if any OF Members have been to the other two.

Another NOTL family run favourite for us is Marynissen Estates Winery - www.marynissen.com If you do a SEARCH on OF you'll find there are several mentions of it by the "wine lovers" group of regulars.