ISO: Peanut Oil [General]

2009 Sep 27
Sorry if this is reposted today... don't know what happened to my first attempt @ around 7:00pm.

Anyway, I am looking for a source for about 3.5 gallons of peanut oil, suitable for deep frying a turkey. I usually get this at hunting / camping stores, but I think I am being taken by high mark-ups (that and I don't have time before Thanksgiving).

I live in Stittsville, so a west end source would be ideal. Already checked Costco, Lebarons, and the local grocers.

Thanks.

2009 Sep 28
best place is Chinatown or a local Asian market
we love to use peanut oil for stirfrying so it's readily available

you could also ask the Independent Grocers out there to bring in a 5 gallon jug

2009 Sep 28
Check the Asian grocery store on Hazeldean in the same strip mall as the Goodlife Fitness.

2009 Sep 28
If you're *really* in a bind, you could go to Metro, but it only comes in 900mL containers and it's expensive as hell.

2010 Mar 7
FYI: a 3L jug of "Lion Globe" peanut oil goes for $22.99 at Kowloon Market. Would love to hear if there are better prices for 100% peanut oil out there.

This stuff smells way peanutty.

2010 Mar 8
Momomoto, the last 4 times I ended up with a dozen 900mL bottles from the grocer, mostly due to my own procrastination. I had no luck finding anything less expensive (works out to about $5 a L which is a bit better than the Lion Globe).

The farthest I ventured is the oriental market on Hazeldean and Castlefrank in Kanata. They didn't seem to have anything in larger formats.

Someday I'll get off my duff and find a good source.

2010 Mar 8
I hear ya. Those 900mL bottles are what I usually get. This time, however, I decided that it was worth the little bit extra to get it all in one container, rather than having to deal with three fiddly small containers.

Filtering and funneling oil back into those tiny 900mL bottles gives me nightmares.

One of these days I'm going to buy a 3L bottle of wine, just so I can empty it and use the bottle to hold oil. A cheapie in a dark glass bottle may only set me back $35. Heck, who needs to drink the wine, even?

2010 Mar 8
If you're looking for a glass bottle that size, you might want to contact a couple restaurants. Lots of things come in that size (though not all in dark glass -- you could cover it?). For example, I've a 3.78L bottle of cider vinegar in my cupboard right now. ;)

They may have an empty bottle you could have without having to buy (and drink ;)) the wine!

2010 Mar 8
Wine making stores will typically have 1-gallon (3.78 litre) jugs available for around $6. Not sure if they sell tinted ones, but you could just wrap a clear one in a sack.

2010 Mar 9
Thanks for the tips! Glad to you know that there are people out there in Internet Land that want to keep me from drinking 4 bottles of wine at once ;)

And good call on putting a dress on the bottle if it's clear. Very hobo-chic.

2010 Mar 9
I use canola oil for deep frying birds and it works just fine. Buy in bulk at Costco and it is cheap too.

2010 Mar 9
I've used Canola before too. The smoke point is a little higher than peanut, so you can get an extra 20 degrees and the hotter the oil the higher probability of a really nice bird. But, I do find the peanut oil taste really makes a big difference, really differentiating it from an oven bird.

Canola being 30% the cost of Peanut oil... I usually bring it out for "extended" family members and those that come to dinner empty handed :)