Sushi kit [General]

2009 Sep 27
So my baby brother decided to teach himself how to make suhshi / sashimi (and does a killer job of it). His birthday is coming up and I'd love to get him a really nice sushi kit / serving set. I was recently shopping in the states and didn't see anything nice. Any suggestions as to where I should look in Ottawa? What about some unique ingredients (non-perishable) that I could include?

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

2009 Sep 28
How old is your brother? Maybe he would like the "Sushi Economy" book from Chapters. I think I saw some sushi kits at New 168 Market, I don't know much about sushi kits. Aisu Kurimu would be able to tell you I think.

2009 Sep 28
What about a traditional sharkskin wasabi grater? You'd have to order it, I would assume, but I think it would make an awesome gift for a sushi enthusiast. I would recommend wasabi root, but that's crazy expensive and perishable.

2009 Sep 28
So you're suggesting to buy him the tool to grate fresh wasabi and then tell him to go get his own fresh stuff? LOL nice.

2009 Sep 28
this topic has been brought up before. see this link for all the places foodies have previously mentioned.

ottawafoodies.com

2009 Sep 28
Handy to have: rice cooker, how to recipe book
What I use when I make sushi: rolling mat, very sharp knife, untreated cedar bowl for mixing rice and vinegar(it absorbs extra moisture from rice and vinegar mixture, prevent rice becomes soggy), or use any large bowl, rice paddle

Ingredients:
rice (sushi rice,
rice vinegar( some vinegar is already seasoned, but I don't use them),
kombu( dried kelp),
Nori(thin sheet of seaweed),
wasabi(either in tube or powder type)
sake,
pickeled ginger (usually it is coloured in pink,in the jar),
soy sause for cooking
tamari soy sause for dipping sushi and sashimi
fresh fish from Pelican Fishery www.pelicanfisheryandgrill.com
dried shitake mushroom,
kampyo(dried shavings of calabash)
cucumber, mayo, avocado, fake crab meat, eggs for japanese style omlette
salt, sugar

and good quality Japanese green tea!!
:)
You can buy rice paddle and rolling mat at asian grocery store.
Most of the ingredients are available at asian grocery store too.
I need to find the store sells good quality Japanese green tea,
I usually buy tea from Japan in late spring.

2009 Sep 28
rice cooker == waste of space IMO

Perfect rice every time with next to no effort, once you figure out the ratio and time for any given rice. Start with 2:1 water:rice, and 20 minutes, which is true for most rices. Tweak as required

- bring water to boil
- add rice
- bring back to boil
- reduce heat to 1
- put lid on
- set timer
- do not touch until time is up
- when time is up remove from heat and leave covered for 5 to 10 minutes.

2009 Sep 28
2:1 ratio it is okay as long as you are cooking plain steamed rice,
however, for sushi rice, you need to keep it mind that you are adding sugar and vinegar mixture when rice is cooked. Soggy and mushy sushi rice is not good for sushi at all.

After gently washing rice, let it soak for 30~60 minutes before cooking.

Make sure to mix rice and vinegar while the rice is still hot.

In the picture: cedar bowl, rice paddle, and rolling mat.

2009 Sep 28
i love my rice cooker. i use it for rice, veggies, dumplings, steam buns, chicken, eggs... it is not too big, takes up less space than my toaster. it is in higher rotation than any other appliance i have.

2009 Sep 28
My wife makes sushi fairly regularly and cooks the rice this way. Turns out fantastic every time.

HFF - steaming can be done with a pot steamer. No need for another appliance :-) Everyone has a pot already. Or should have.

2009 Sep 28
snoopy loopy: smellannie specifically asked for non-perishables. Wasabi root would be perishable. That's why I said what I said.

2009 Sep 28
I have an electric steamer... and it is extremely versatile, I have used it to make rice, veggies and even fish. Love it... and BONUS it is easy to clean.

2009 Sep 28
Hi Aisu,

You mentioned you had rice cookers with high tech innovations like steam and ultrasound. Can you give any advice about these machines and are they available online or in Ottawa?

2009 Sep 28
Francis:I sent you a message, please check it :)

Zym: Wow, you and your family eat sushi regularly at home! that's nice. What kind of sushi is your favourite? I love maki, but I don't make sushi so often...

hipfunky:if your rice cooker can cook more than 45 mins, you can bake cake !
I cannot find recipe in English... :(

Food and think: which electric steamer do you use? I am thinking about getting one for myself!

2009 Sep 28
what i especially love about my rice cooker is that i don't have to turn on the stove. who wants a stove on in the middle of summer? or if i need 4 burners, i can have the rice cooking off in the corner. i have an electric stove, so the burner takes forever to cool off - terrible in the summer if you just want something steamed.

zym, if i had a wife to make me sushi, i would say her way of cooking rice is the best as well. since i have to do the cooking myself, having an appliance like this that i can turn on and forget about is exactly what is needed.

aisu, my steamer does 60 minutes, please send me the cake recipe if you find it in english, though i will try googling too. interesting idea.

2009 Sep 28
Hi Aisu,

I got your message. I found a VPC (Variable Pressure Control) Sanyo Rice cooker on ebay for around $210 US with shipping. Right now I have a Panasonic Fuzzy Logic unit. Will the pressure cooking result in a much different result?

2009 Sep 30
i need to clarify, i do all that cooking in my electric steamer, not the rice cooker. i think if it as a rice cooker, since it makes great rice.

oh, mommy brain.....