Procured many veggies, now what? [General]

2009 Sep 21
So I have unexpectedly acquired about a half dozen ears of corn, a half dozen squash of various sizes and colours and many green string beans. What are your recipe suggestions?

2009 Sep 21
Corn - eat

Squash - do you mean summer squash / zucchini?
Chocolate cake! urbanhippy.ca
Relish : urbanhippy.ca/zucchini/relish
Zucchini Loaf : urbanhippy.ca/node/180

String beans : makes a great curry. My wife made some last week but does not have the recipe on line yet

2009 Sep 21
Mainly summer squash but also a few small zucchini.

2009 Sep 21
Yup, those all work in the recipes I linked to above. The chocolate cake is especially good.

2009 Sep 21
Squash? Ratatouille is a great way to eat it. Put some chili powder and sour cream in the ratatouille for extra zing and richness.

2009 Sep 22
Here are some ideas from the top of my head that I have used this year...

Corn - corn salad - steam cobs, cut off kernels, mix with red onion, red pepper, cilantro, lime juice, avocado or black beans perhaps, cumin
- corn relish - mix raw kernels in a pot with celery, onions and bell peppers, some vinegar to cover, sweeten to taste and cook for about 1.5 hours, jar it up while it is still super hot.

Beans - when I have lots of beans I make nicoise salad. Otherwise steam and eat as a side I guess. I also like roasting them on a cookie sheet with olive oil and minced garlic.

Big Squash - soup...roast squash, scoop it out and mix with stock. Puree.
- pasta - roast squash, mix flesh with browned butter and garlic in a saute pan, nutmeg and sage, thin mixture out with pasta water and put over linguine. Garnish with fried sage leaves if you are feeling hardcore. My favourite way to eat squash.

Zucchini/summer squash - ratatouille, soups, thinly sliced in carbonara pasta, stuffed with breadcrumbs and pancetta topped with parmesan cheese....

2009 Sep 22
One of my most favourite corn recipes of all time is the sage creamed corn that I saw on Michael Chiarello's Easy Entertaining, years ago. (In the show, and in the recipe on Foodnetwork.com, it's served as a bruschetta with toasted bread and prosciutto. I just have it on its own and I'm happy.)

Here's the recipe for four ears: scale if you want to use six.

1 tablespoon unsalted butter
2 garlic cloves, sliced
6 sage leaves
4 ears corn, kernels removed
Salt and pepper
1/2 cup heavy cream

In a skillet over medium-high heat, lightly brown the butter. Add the garlic and cook until it is light brown. Add the sage and cook until aromatic. Add the corn kernels and cook for 1 minute. Season with salt and pepper. Pour in the cream and simmer until it is reduced by half, about 4 to 5 minutes.

And that's it. It's a magnificent side that goes really well with pork, chicken, or fish. That sage! That garlic! Man.