Soft pretzels? [General]

2009 Sep 20
Anyone know where I can go to get a good soft pretzel, served warm with butter and salt? I don't care if it's in a mall or movie theatre... I just need to satisfy this pretzel craving!

2009 Sep 20
There is a Wetzels (or Pretzleman.. ) at The Coliseum theatres near Bayshore on Carling. There is also a soft pretzle place inside the theatre area at the World Exchange theatres (Empire 7?) Both places have alright recipes, but the employees are often sloppy with the cooking, making them less than perfect. If you get the pretzel nibs (not sure the real name) they will virtually soak them in fake butter before serving them too you... gross.

2009 Sep 20
If you are ever in Manhatten they make best street pretzels . Friends went a few weeks ago and asked if there was anything we wanted. I mentioned street pretzels and even when they were day old they were great warmed up in the oven. Can't say I have had any worth eating in Ottawa in a while. Swiss Pastries did make good ones but I haven't seen any in a long time at least the one at Billings.

2009 Sep 20
Swiss Pastries doesn't serve them with Butter, but they do have them at all their locations on Thursdays only.

They're also incredibly easy to make,

2009 Sep 20
Thanks for the tips, everyone! I had to fast today for a medical test tomorrow and want to break that fast with a couple nice hot pretzels. This should do the trick!

I'm definitely interested in making my own once my health improves to the point where I can cook again. Any good recipes to recommend? I tried making them twice in the last few years and both times was not thrilled with the results. (And my baking experiments usually turn out so well, too... *pout*)

2009 Sep 21
Best pretzel recipe I've found comes from Asha at Befoodled: befoodled.blogspot.com

2009 Sep 21
I really like SmittenKitchen's recipe: smittenkitchen.com

I've made it a few times and it always gets rave reviews from my coworkers.

2009 Sep 21
Scotiabank Place has very good pretzels. I usually treat myself when going to games. Can't wait for the first home game of the season!!

2009 Sep 21
also, i don't know if it is possible, but if you go to the theatre to get the pretzels, try to call ahead. EVERY time i have gone for a pretzel, they were never any pre-made pretzels. it takes about 10 minutes which is like a lifetime to me lol. especially when you're about to watch a movie.

2009 Sep 21
Shall we have a pretzel duel Pam? ;-)

2009 Sep 23
I have to shudder a little bit at those of you who are saying the theatres/arenas have good pretzels. Go to Germany (or Philadelphia...). Eat a pretzel from a bakery. Then come back and tell me how good the ones at the arena are.

It's like real Italian pizza.

2009 Sep 23
LwB... we didn't say they were 'good', we said that they were available. There is a dearth of places to get 'fresh' soft pretzels, if you don't want to wait till Thursday morning at Swiss Pastries. I for one don't find Swiss Pastries ones as good as my homemade ones. I guess I should have qualified the recommendation a bit more. Maybe I'll have to bring fresh pretzels to the next foodie night...

2009 Sep 25
Pete: It's on ;) Though I'm sure yours are better - I haven't refined the SK recipe at all. Yet.

2009 Sep 26
Can I be the judge of this pretzel-off? *grins*

2009 Sep 26
We could pretzel-off at the next foodie event?

2009 Sep 26
Where do you guys get your food grade lye?

2009 Sep 27
Zymurgist- Neither of their recipes use lye but if you google
sodium hydroxide FCC (the food grade lye), there are several chemical companies that you can order it from. One supplier is in Toronto.

I ran into the same issue when I lived in Germany and fell in love with bretzels. My exchange family said that a friend had a recipe but it would be difficult because it actually calls for a "poison" refering to the lye. I have yet to come across the same quality prezels here.l

Actually, Loblaws has frozen ones that you reheat "Superpretzels" or something. These are actually closer to the kind made in Germany than any of the pretzel places in the city. They have the rich brown coating from the lye bath.

2009 Sep 27
I'm familiar with Lentia in Toronto but cannot find a source of lye here in Ottawa. Maybe if someone here makes it to Toronto sometime they could pick up a supply? Lentia's product line looks really yummy in fact!

2009 Sep 27
Good lord- I wonder how long it would take a hobby baker to use up 25kg of Sodium Hydroxide. I think I'd have to leave it to someone in my will.

Someone told me that Lindenhof restaurant makes bavarian pretzels like you find in Germany. Anyone care to comment?

2009 Sep 27
A German-Canadian friend of mine bought 5kg of lye from Lentia about 3 years ago and still has probably 3 or more left. He makes lye crescents pretty regularly, which are basically the same dough as pretzels but formed in the shape of croissant - but they get the same lye bath in the end.