Where to buy Low Fat/Calorie Products [General]

2009 Sep 15
Hi there,

I usually go to the US to buy lower calorie foods or order from a store in TO.

Does anyone know if any of the following is available in Ottawa? :

0% Fat Greek Yogurt (ie Fage Brand)

Pop Corn Seasoning by "Kernal Season's": Parmesan and Garlic, BBQ, White Cheddar, Apple Cinnamon

"Swiss Miss Hot Chocolate (Light) (I think they call is Swiss Miss Sensible Sweets Diet Cocoa"

La Torillla Factor Low Calorie Torlillas

Shirataku Noodles by House Foods -I really like the Fettucinni style

Cabot Reduced Fat Cheese (Variety of flavours ie cheddar, Pepper Jack, Jalapeno Cheddar-they also have a 75% fat reduced cheddar)

Here are some new products that I saw on Hungry Girls Site:
Brothers-All-Natural Potato Crisps
Popchips Potato Chips
Butterball Thin & Crispy Turkey Bacon
Today's Farm Freeze-Dried Fruit Snacks -strawberry or any other flavour
LiteHouse Salad Dressing ( Sesame Ginger, Pomogranite Blueburry, Thai Peanut
College Inn Culinary Broths and Bold Stocks( Thai Coconut Curry, White Wine and Herb)

2009 Sep 15
Shill!

2009 Sep 15
Water and celery sticks are readily available in Ottawa :)

2009 Sep 15
Shill or not, here's some help: Cabot cheese is not available in Ottawa, to my knowledge. You'll have to drive to Ogdensburg to get it.

2009 Sep 15
Hey I believe in healthy eating as much as the next person... BUT really, if this is your "focus" then this FOODIE site probably isn't for you... it is my experience that many LOW FAT - NO FAT - CALORIE REDUCED - SUGAR FREE Products are "chemical cocktails" and well they don't seem to dovetail so well with what most of us see as "healthy eating" (100% Natural Organically Grown and Sustainable Foods).

Think ya need to find a local diet site.

Just my 2 cents.

Zym & Snoopy Loopy - Gotta agree, sure looks like a Shill to me (User Name is equal to the Website discussed).

2009 Sep 15
Shirataku noodles can also be bought at Win Tai. Konnyaku noodles, tied up in bows to resemble "shrimp" (or whatever) can be bought at several stores in Chinatown or the New 168 Market. They are zero calorie. Black coffee is zero calorie, so is plain green tea. Tomato juice is low calorie.

2009 Sep 15

Hungly girl fun,
FYI, it is Shirataki, not Sirataku :)
Food pyramid would be very helpuful resource for your healthy diet.
Fat/oil is very important for your diet, it is all about balance, how much you need them.
I don't eat any of low/ non fat products, and I eat sweets and chips too.
but I maintain my weight. Portion and balance of the food is the key for healthy eating... I think.

2009 Sep 15
Konnyaku noodles are great in hot pot!

2009 Sep 15
Snoopy,
If you tear konnyaku (block shaped one) by using spoon instead of using knife, konnyaku will absorb more flavor from soup.
Before you use konnyaku, boil and drain to remove the distinctive smell of konnyaku :)

2009 Sep 16
hmmmmmmmm

konnyaku, shiitake and daikon stew! well with Hainanese chicken broth and chilis of course