Icewine......hidden gem [Food/Vendor]

2007 Mar 6
Hello Foodies,

This cold March is ideal for a chill glass of Icewine. Recently I tryed an Inniskillin and I really appreciate its complexity and delicacy. It's superb if pairew with petit four, tender cheeses or foi gras. Personally I think that Icewine is an hidden gem in a market full of anonymous wines. Those wines are hidden maybe because prices are high or maybe because unfortunately sweet wines are considered "old fashioned wines".........and tradidionally the market is fashion driven(!). Canada express outstanding Icewines, among the best in the world but they're still a rarity in the winelist.
Since I'm not a winemaker and I'd like to discover new interesting Canadian labels I have posted this topic to look for new suggestions about good Icewines. I'd like to buy a new bottle and I'm sure that I'm not the only Icewine lover here. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2007 Mar 6
I suggest you try a bottle of Peller Estate Cabernet Franc Icewine. Fabulous.
You can also try "cidre de glace" , it's basically icewine made from apples.

2007 Mar 8
We second Ferley's recommendation, the Peller Cabernet Franc Icewine is wonderful.

2007 Mar 8
Oh Ferley and Tnt........ your suggestion sounds great. I never had a Cabernet Franc Icewine. I saw Peller Estate website and their winelist is impressive. I'll try it!
Recently I was in Quebec City and I had a good cider (Ile D'orleans "Le petit Pommier"). The price was impressive and the quality very high. I still have some bottles of this good cider on the shelf!

2007 Mar 9
Recently I had a Riesling Icewine by Malivoire (I believe it was a 2003?). It was still delectable even though it had been moved from my (a-hem) cellar (read: Ikea rack in the basement storage room away from light and furnace) to fridge and back again a FEW times. Not optimal conditions for a delicate wine that generally doesn't cellar long. But it was still as good as it's sister bottle consumed 2 years prior with notes of honey and violet.

It is generally not available in large quantities (mine was a 275 ml bottle) and of limited release. It's a higher mid-range price at $39 a bottle (again note comes in 275 ml bottle...NOT 375ml bottle that is the norm). But if you see it and you want to try an icewine with the syrupy consistency of the Riesling grape, it's a good one to try.

Malivoire is a small winery with a conscience located in Beamsville ON. The icewine was handpicked by family and friends, all of whom were named on the back label. Nice touch.

2007 Mar 9
Also, recently had a 2004 Gewürztraminer Icewine Proprietors Grand Reserve. Not cheap at something like $70 a bottle for 375ml but oh so good. And very different if you want to stray from the standard (and very tasty in its own right) Vidal. Bought this one at the Wine Rack and is available online from them as well.

It was luscious though!!!