what are you doing with your .99 cent ribs [General]

2009 Sep 14
OK - so i figure you all ran out and got your 4 packs of .99/lbs ribs from farm boy by now. I bbq'd the first package this weekend with mixed results. Didn't have time to smoke - so through on some rub, wrapped in foil with some lemons and slow bbq'd them for 4 hours. Mopped on a bunch of sauce and finished them for another hour or so at around 250. They weren't the best ribs - I think foil with rub - doesn't work so good unless they've already seen heat.

So by Sunday I'm not feeling too much like more ribs but ... RIB NACHOS! Because these were side ribs with breast - it was easy to get at a bunch of meat and chop it fine. Sprinkled it over chips, with onion, red pepper and cheddar with a little bit of bbq sauce and into the oven. Very yummy!

I'm ribbed out for a few days now.

cheers.

2009 Sep 14
Sourdough - I could of course GOOGLE this, BUT...

I don't think I heard about the Rib Sale (is it still on?)

BTW... I am sooooo drooling at your descriptive post.

2009 Sep 14
Going to smoke mine and use Steve Raichlen's Kansas City sweet and smokey rib recipe with the two packs I bought.

2009 Sep 14
Slow-cooker ribs for dinner tomorrow. A good dose of hot sauce, some brown sugar, mustard, ketchup, vinegar and bit of this and that and they'll be ready when I get home from work.

As for the three other packages of ribs that I bought, well they'll go into the freezer until I have time to dry rub and cook them properly on the BBQ.

2009 Sep 14
yep sale is all this week .99/pound, limit 4 packages/customer. (of course you can return if you have room in your freezer :)

2009 Sep 14
I was at Farm Boy bright and early on Saturday morning to buy one package (6 lbs for $6!). I trimmed and rubbed them on Sunday morning (I'm working on a spice blend to call my own) and put them on the smoking Egg with a handful of applewood chips just after lunch. I started at a cool 200°F for a while then slowly brought them up to 250°F over the next few hours. After 4 hours, they had developed a beautiful bark and a bright pink smoke ring.

They were most tasty, but the texture ranged from succulent (the thick parts near the bone), to dry and almost jerky-like (the thin bits of skirt). It isn't clear to me how best to cook these ribs given their significant variation in thickness. I'd appreciate any tips!

2009 Sep 15
I have no idea if I do this correctly - but I butcher up my full ribs (although the anatomy does seem somewhat dependent on the slab). I cut off the flap of meat which runs about 1/2 way up the slab - connected to the piece with the ribs. There is usually a breast bone section where the bones run perpendicular to the ribs. I use a chef knife and try to cut that section separately from the ribs. Sometimes there is a section with very large rib bones (I'm guessing this is closer to the neck?) which I'll also try and partition off. Finally I'll remove the all meat piece (breast/skirt???) This usually leave me with:
1. 1 rack of normal looking ribs (maybe 1/2 the slab)
2. Sometimes a section with large ribs
3. 1 Breast bone piece
4. 2 pieces of meat - 1 pretty small - the other 1/4 slab size

so the pieces with the bones I do at the same time. The all meat pieces I've:
1. done later - otherwise they become jerky
2. rolled up to make them thicker - this works well - then do them at the same time as the bone in pieces.

Hope that helps - sorry my description is limited - self learned butchery and I never did take biology or anatomy.