supper accompanied by wine [General]

2009 Sep 14
hey guy's

i'm a student at la cité collegiale, in business adminastration, and for a groupe project we have to come up with 1500$. My team is thinking to mostly sell chocolates to raise the money. I do not think its the best idea because every school does it and you need to sell 625 box of chocolate to make 1500$.

I was thinking of making a supper accompanied by wine. I already was able to contact the chef of mariposa farm( who did this type of event in the past) and he would be glad to do it. For the location I was thinking of using the college kitchen (which I haven't ask for yet). For a appetizer, main course and dessert, all accompanied by wine, i was thinking of around 40-50$. Is that to expensive?, and would any of you would be whilling to come to this event, all the money is donated to the school at the end.

thx. From Maize

2009 Sep 14
Your price range is pretty good, but you should also consider a non-alcohol option. My 2 cents.

2009 Sep 14
Maize - Ok, just curious as to what the "objective" is... is it to actually raise $ 1500 or is it, to raise as much as possible (ie one could win at $ 1200 if no one else makes more... or you could lose at $ 1500 if someone raises more, say $ 2000)

Also, tell me a little about the fellow students in your program (sorry not that familiar with Cité Collegiale) is everyone over the age of 19 ?(Ontario's legal drinking age) and if not, what would you say the percentage is that is 19 or over?

2009 Sep 15
it's not s competition, we just have to raise 1500$ to get a good mark, and work hard to get it. in the past year people have collected only 500$ but because they worked hard they got a good grade.

In my program were all about 18 years old... but my primary clients would not be students (if some like wine they are all welcome to come but the percentage of a young student, legal of drinking, going to a supper accompanied by wine is low)... more like teachers, our parents, OTTAWA FOODIES if they are willing. I have thought of just doing a supper, but I though maybe a supper accompanied by wine would attract a bigger audience

2009 Sep 15
Maize - I have a lot of experience with fundraising... so I'll give you my professional opinion.

Your issue is going to be "attracting" outside participants. You'll need a fair bit of volume to raise $ 1500 (unless you manage to get all your supplies donated... unlikely as this isn't a charitable association).

Your easiest audience would be fellow students (and that probably means a meal without alcohol). The cheapest to organize and has good profitability is a Spaghetti Dinner (with a glass of wine per person you could charge $ 20 to $ 25 a head). You'd have to advertise to a wide College / University Crowd though... and have a fair bit of lead time... Flyers in the Dorms, on Campus and ads / blurbs in their Newspapers. You'd need a large central site, convenient to bussing (especially if you hope to attract students from the other campuses here in Ottawa).

The event you have in mind (more highend) has a set of issues onto itself...

A more high-scale event means you (a) will charge more, but (b) more will be expected, and (c) expenses will be way more expensive....

You will need to charge as you say somewhere in the $ 40 to $ 50 range... BUT attracting guests willing (able) to pay that will be difficult... and your overhead will be much much higher. Small profit margin.

The issues regarding wine alone could be problematic... Liquor License, Serving (Servers & Smart Serve), as well as the cost of the wine... unlike a Spaghetti Dinner... a more highend event isn't going to work with cheap food & wine at that costing per plate... you'll need to step things up.

Start by making a list... think it thru:

Spaghetti - Spaghetti Sauce - Buns / Bread - Margarine - Grated Cheese - Tea / Coffee / Juice / Water - and Wine if you go that route - and add in a Dessert (slab cake with ice cream is a cheap choice).

Dishes - Glassware - Cutlery - Napkins - Pots - Serving Utensils

Rental Space with Kitchen - Tables - Chairs - Liquor License

and what exactly will these people be doing besides eating... Entertainment?

LOL, you might want to keep brainstorming to find a "less work" solution to your $ 1500 problem.

2009 Sep 15
interesting...i see you contacted the chef at mariposa farm,,,which happens to be me....but the funny thing is i have no idea about it...or is the another mariposa farm????

i totally agree with food and think...more thought needs to be placed into this as the expenses will be very high and a low profit margin,,,but good
luck to you....

2009 Sep 15
LOL... Gosh I love this website!

The "truth" can not be denied.

2009 Sep 15
Hi Maize:

There are two options that spring to mind: One is a bake sale, but depending on how large Cite Collegiale is, this may not raise enough money because of a lack of participation.

The other option would be a silent auction run over a period of time. *But* if a silent auction were to succeed, then a portion of the proceeds would have to go to a charity. That said, if you had say 20 items for bidding, and each item garnered somewhere in the neighbourhood of $100-200, you would have your $1500 if you give 50% to charity. You could approach local businesses to donate gifts, you would provide them with a tax receipt for their donation, and have people bid on the gift with a bid deadline.

Best of luck though

2009 Sep 15
Try pizza sales at your college. My high school used to do this. The markup you can charge on a slice of pizza is ridiculous!

2009 Sep 16
thank you for the advice you guys, I really appreciate it. I like the idea of just making a spaghetti diner, or a bake sale. However we are not alowed to cook things ourselfs, this is why, If a chef would prepare the dishes, it would be OK. And for Pig Lover, I'm talking about mariposa farm in plantagenet. I spoke to soon by saying that I spoke to the chef, however I did speak to the owner, and she seemed intrested. And if its you, your the one that did the wine tasting at bourgetel...right

2009 Sep 16
Hehe.. this sounds just like Donald Trump's show The Apprentice.

2009 Sep 16
Pete-In-Ottawa - Lol, I have to agree I thought the same thing... gotta say this whole post just has an "off" vibe.