Atomic Buffalo Turds [Recipes]

2009 Sep 12
A white trash classic!

Tried my hand at Atomic Buffalo Turds today. Really easy hors d'oeuvre for anyone out there with a smoker!

-monty

---------------------------------

ABTs (Atomic Buffalo Turds)

Ingredients:
Jalapenos
Cream Cheese (Spreadable)
Bacon

-Remove tops of jalapenos and slice in half lengthwise
-Remove all seeds and veins from the jalapenos. I used a little melon baller to scrape the veins out. You might want to wear plastic gloves while doing this.
-Fill the 1/2 jalapeno boats with cream cheese (Philadelphia Herb & Garlic works well)
-Completely wrap the pepper + cream cheese with 1/2 slice to a full slice of bacon. Use a toothpick to hold in place if necessary.
-Smoke at ~250 for approximately 2 hours or until bacon is crisp and peppers have broken down

2009 Sep 12

2009 Sep 12

2009 Sep 12

2009 Sep 12

2009 Sep 12

2009 Sep 12

2009 Sep 30
tried this on a much bigger scale earlier in the week - made 100 for an office lunch

bacon used for these and my previous attempt is naturally smoked bacon from Brian's Butchery (Around the Block Butcher Shop)

2009 Sep 30

2009 Sep 30

2009 Sep 30

2009 Sep 30

2009 Sep 30

2009 Sep 30

2009 Oct 1
Monty you are a soldier, I hope your co-workers appreciated it.

BTW I was expecting to see pics of the horrible dried out beef jerky Buffalo-Turds that are sold in convenience stores. Your turds look quite appetizing.

2009 Oct 1
Those look dangerous...

2009 Oct 1
tracinho - haha thanks. they were devoured pretty quickly. bacon-wrapped anything tends to attract a crowd...

dangerous, chimi? pray tell.

2009 Oct 2
Dangerously delicious... with dangerous digestive repercussions! Looks like they'd go well with beer.

2009 Oct 2
hahaha removing the seeds and veins takes away all the dangerous digestive repercussions, chim. there's actually not much kick to them after that - tastes just like a stuffed green/red pepper.

2009 Oct 2
Sign me up.

2009 Oct 2
LOL, name implications aside... although they are no doubt delicious, they just look like "Atomic Bombs" to me. As much as I'd love to be able to handle heat, my tummy it very very particular about how much.

2010 Feb 13
F&T perhaps you'd prefer the "vegetarian" version ;)

Jalapenos
Philadelphia Herb & Garlic Cream Cheese
BBQ Rub
+ 2 hours of Hickory

Without the bacon the cream cheese really takes in a lot of smoke - almost looks like peanut butter!

2010 Feb 13

2010 Feb 13

2010 Feb 13

2010 Feb 13

2010 Feb 13

2010 Feb 13

2010 Feb 13
Look yummy Monty. I have always made these with a mixture of cream cheese, salsa and grated monterey jack or cheddar, fill, top with bread crumb/dried parsley/melted butter mixture and then in the oven they go. You may want to try these as well.

2010 Feb 17
i think you just classed these up a notch Barb. i'll definitely have to try that out! there certainly quite a few variations. i did some with minced crab and they were fabulous.

2010 Mar 14
Some inspiration for you Monty: www.chow.com

2010 Jun 20
So... my kids surprised me with an Bradley Smoker (Original version) for Father's Day. After the 1hr seasoning, the wisps of Alder were calling me to continue. Scrambling through the fridge for something, anything to cook, and kicking myself that I don't constantly have a rack of ribs on standby, I found a bag of jalepenos. Fortunately, I also found cream cheese, havarti, scallions, a couple of jolokias, and a lb of bacon.

Instant ABTs. 2hrs @ 250F using alder. Oh... my... God. They were awesome.

Thanks for the inspiration Monty.

2010 Jun 21
hungry hungry hippo - i think we are slowly building an army of Bradley owners on this board. welcome to the club!

wait until you try smoking fish in this thing - it will change your life ;)

2010 Jun 23
I am such a downer--smoked foods occasionally are ok for a healthy person..just hope you smokers don't eat this stuff every day (nutrition person me must put in my professional opinion...)

2010 Jun 23
Nope, not me WC. I am a healthy person and I eat this stuff a couple times a month at very most

2010 Jun 23
p.s. speaking of being a healthy person - I was at Scout camp this weekend with my Beaver Colony. While swimming in the lake I got into an underwater distance swimming contest with a bunch of 13 to 16 year old Scouts. I'm in my early 40s.

But I beat them. And I got a huge standing ovation and cheer from them in doing so!

And the best part was this - just before I took my turn, I said to them jokingly "OK guys, if I don't come up in about a minute, call the lifeguard"

They looked at each other and said "Um, we ARE the lifeguards"

w00t!

EDIT: p.s. yes, I think that deserves a certain amount of bragging rights for an old fart :-P