Spice Rack [General]

2009 Sep 11
So I was picking up some flowers at the grocery store and treated myself to some ground coriander (I ran out), some lavender ("NEW" from McCormicks!!), and an Indian Masala blend. I have a soft spot for herbs and spices. I am proud of my spice drawer and it seems to grow weekly.

What's your favourite spice / herb / flavour profile? I realize it depends on what you're cooking, but do you find yourself reaching for one bottle more often than not?

I go through cumin like coffee.

2009 Sep 11
One of my "secret ingredients" is finely ground porcini mushrooms. I sneak this into most mushroom dishes I make. It turns the ordinary into extraordinary. It is great dusted on pork tenderloin, for example.

Chipotle is another one of go to spices. It does chicken good for memorable fajitas.

2009 Sep 11
Technically herbs I guess, but Thyme and Rosemary all the way!

2009 Sep 11
Oregano, thyme and Rosemary for the dried. My memphis magic dust blend for a mix. Some kind of canned curry paste for a paste. And of course - SALT (kosher).

2009 Sep 11
My blue Spiceboy has coriander seed in it, so I can have fresh ground any time I want. Otherwise, my magic spice, used mostly on meats (esp poultry) is a mix of cardamom, cloves, star anise and other good stuff that I grind myself... MAGIC!

2009 Sep 11
Definitely smoked pepper from the Salty Don. Also sea salt, fleur de sel, and hot smoked paprika.

2009 Sep 11
Lots of the standard "dried herbs" and then a couple of special items that I think are great additions depending on the dish... "Victorian Epicure's Sea Salt with Chili & Garlic" and "Old Bay with Lemon & Herb Seasoning".

2009 Sep 11
Mexican oregano, smoked paprika, coriander, fennel, assorted dried peppers (cayenne, pasilla, anaheim, chipotle, guajillo, ancho, etc.), old bay, sichuan pepper, various mustard seeds... and I find myself using adobo seasoning (puerto rican style) a LOT...

2009 Sep 11
Seasonello - a mix of sea salt, pepper, rosemary, oregano and thyme I believe.

2009 Sep 11
oregano from Greece. I get it at Nicastros on Merivale. You have not had oregano till you smell and taste this. Also love Mccormicks lemon pepper, very lemony and the pepper taste is good. Hungarian paprika from the Euoropean deli, also on Merviale in its new digs.

2009 Sep 11
i knew it wouldn't take long for the Spiceboy to make an appearance in this thread!

my regulars:

cumino
adobo
hungarian paprika
salt
cracked black

2009 Sep 11
Roasted sesame seeds. Roast and grind sesame seeds, then mix it with dash of sea salt. It goes well with anything. Kadoya Sesame oil has wonderful aroma. I can't live without it.

2009 Sep 12
Food & Think: "Victorian Epicure's Sea Salt with Chili & Garlic"

I love VE's sea salt blends! Their pepper blends are great too!!

2009 Sep 12
I'm a big cumin fan too!

I also do the roasted sesame/salt blend.

For herbs I love fresh basil, dill and cilantro.