No, thank _you_ [General]

2007 Mar 5
"Mark Warburton is a software engineer who also loves good food. He works for a west end tech company and administers his own web-based restaurant and food community called ottawafoodies.com.

The site, focusing largely on downtown eateries, hosts an online hive of Ottawa food and restaurant connaisseurs(sic). "We now boast a thriving community of dedicated foodies," he explains."

But like a shepherd with an ever-expanding flock, his online community has taken a life of its own. "A year ago, when I was working on the foundations of the Ottawa Foodies architechture, I quickly realised that the site needed to encourage a community mindset."

Warburton says his site encourages like-minded people to come together and share ideas on all aspects of food -- though he says web admnistrators need to be careful as to who logs on as some Internet users can be aggressive or disrespectful. But he says ottawafoodies.com has gotten off easy thus far.

"Would you believe that in five months I have never had to delete an offensive comment or posting?" he says. "This is the wild Internet, where obnoxious deviants thrive and flaming is the norm. (But) we managed to start with a core of excellent people (sic)they seem to have set a positive tone for future members.

"I will do my best to ensure that this continues."

City Journal, 28 Feb 2007

2007 Mar 5
Nifty! Thanks for posting the text. :D

2007 Mar 5
I love this part "...the wild Internet where obnoxious deviants thrive.."

Glad to know that we're considered POLITELY deviant!

Cool article, BTW

2007 Mar 5
And, as if the 'obnoxious deviants' thing wasn't enough -- it was in an article titled Community web sites coax subcultures out from isolation.

2007 Mar 5
hahahah!! This is great. Actually, he was surprisingly accurate for a journalist! Of course, Ottawa Foodies doesn't necessarily "focus" on downtown eateries (although since City Journal *does* it helps everyone to say so).

As for the subculture thing... there might be some truth in saying that Ottawans who truly care about the food they eat are a bit of a subculture. I only wish it weren't so! :)

The full article is here, btw: www.cityjournal.ca