preston st exclusive! [General]

2009 Sep 1
this is from ron eade's blog. there are very early talks going on to turn the oak street complex on preston street to a year-round market! sign me up for supporting this venture.

communities.canada.com

2009 Sep 1
That is one great idea! That entire area around the overpass needs to be redeveloped, a market would be a huge first step.

2009 Sep 1
That would be absoluletly jaw-droppingly awesome.

2009 Sep 1
This would do so much to help Ottawa's image! Right now, we're the safe and boring choice of Canadian cities -- a good place to raise your kids and if you need more you can always drive to Montreal or Toronto.

Ottawa's markets are all piddly and lame compared to Montreal's Jean-Talon and Toronto's Kensington. It's high time we broke out of our mold of mediocrity!

BTW, I just posted the following comment on Ron's blog entry:

This is a most thrilling prospect! But the jaded and cynical among us wonder if our notoriously backward city politicians and planners would permit the execution of such a great idea? Let's hope that Ottawa's record of encouraging urban sprawl is coincidence rather than policy.

2009 Sep 1
This is a great idea, I live in a condominium complex just off Preston and while we are so lucky to find great small artisan shops and local butcher within walking distance, I am always complaining about the lack of fresh product vendors. Nothing is more frustrating then having to drive to get some fresh greens.

2009 Sep 1
I'm not as jaded as FF, but I'd like to think at least as cynical. I am not sure there is the people density there for a full year market, and it would probably require either better transpo, or blech, more parking. It would probably fit better transportation-wise up near Carling at the O-Train terminus. I think if they manage to make it (year round market), it will likely siphon some of the business away from Parkdale Market.. which would be a shame.

2009 Sep 1
At the risk of being devils advocate there is not much parking around Lansdowne or possibly Parkdale either but both markets are doing well. (The Main street farmers market and the one in Ottawa South are both blessed with big parking lots.) When I read Ron's blog and saw the pictures of the existing building the St. Lawrence market in Toronto and the Atwater market in Montreal immediately came to mind. They have lots of vendors inside selling cheese, coffee beans, and specialty products and produce vendors outside during the growing season. Mind you I am a little biased since I buy most of my groceries at the farmers markets so as far as I'm concerned the more the merrier.

2009 Sep 1
it did say that there is currently parking for 300. i imagine if this goes forward, parking would be sorted out to accomodate at least that many. a proper downtown christmas market would be a huge draw for locals and tourists.

it also said that an o-train stop is planned for gladstone/preston which would be right at the start of the market building.

2009 Sep 1
This is really an exciting proposal. Whether or not the feds play ball is another matter. But, keep in mind the feds ploughed $25 million into the Granville Island project in Vancouver. Yes.
The bigger question is, how much does Steve Harper hate Ottawa, and will he deny Ottawa what the feds have promoted elsewhere?
For the nation's capital, this is an exciting proposal.
Is Steven Harper as excited? Or will we have to make do with, say, local content that extends to his wife posing for photo ops at the annual Humane Society gala? You can contemplate that.

2009 Sep 1
SAVE TEH KITTEHS!

2009 Sep 2
That is a really ugly piece of artwork in his office. Really, it's a great way to de-emphasize him.

I'm sure there are some government entities who would give their buy in, it would benefit John Baird greatly to promote this (as Minister of Communities/Infrastructure), but, then again, Mr. Baird has done little to promote himself in this town.

I'm not saying more until after November 16. Otherwise, it's a waste of breath.

2009 Sep 2
now, now politics on Ottawa Foodies!!!
Save these thoughts for an appropriate forum. ie. Political forums . and blogs.
fyi, Laureen Harper is a tireless campagner for the Ottawa Humane Society .

2009 Sep 2
Except that in this case, our food and our food habits are effected by the politics of our nation's capital. I think that this is an appropriate topic as long as we stay on topic. It's hardly different from us discussing the liquor monopoly that is the LCBO.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think **Omnivore's Ottawa*'s point is that the federal government does not always concern itself with regional matters. Nor should it. Except in an instance where it is going to bring national tourism revenue. And when it's real estate is involved.