Home Made Cold Cuts [General]

2009 Aug 31
Ok, the obvious options seems to be to get a boneless roast of beef or ham, and slice it up.

Other than this, what other options are there, short of full-on charcuterie? (sp?)

2009 Aug 31
There was some discussion last year about buying meat slicers: ottawafoodies.com/forum/1278

2009 Aug 31
Chicken breast is another strong option...

2009 Aug 31
Turkey? Porchetta? Smoked brisket?

2009 Aug 31
Brisket! Great recommendation... I just smoked one of those last weekend with my family and had GREAT SUCCESS. Makes for amazing burnt ends and sandwich meat for leftovers. I'm salivating at the thought.

2009 Sep 1
I have been desperately looking for a killer porchetta recipe. I used to attend a porchetta bingo back home. That's great way to spend an afternoon. Makes a great sandwich.

2009 Sep 1
Pickled tongue is really easy if you're into that!

RE: Porchetta, Jamie's Italy has a good recipe that I have used quite a few times it is basically a pork loin slathered with a rub of fennel seeds, dried chili, rosemary, bay, garlic and lemon juice, roasted over med heat with aromatics and white wine in the pan...pretty simple in the end. Here is a link since I loaned my copy of the book out and never got it back yet:

www.foodreference.com

2009 Sep 10
zymurgist I am clearly going to have to read postings more carefully before replying-;) I thought you were looking for methods of making cold cuts as opposed to cuts of meat.

I am now bumping this topic since I now have a couple of suggestions. If you are looking for something that can produce leftovers there is always a roast of pork, lamb or veal. (Now that fall is here I am getting a hankering for roast pork and sauerkraut - yummy!) If you make it to the Jean Talon market you could probably find ducks or whole rabbits.