Carp Farmers' Market [General]

2009 Aug 28
I figured I'd start a new thread for this.

I've been looking forward all week to going out to Carp tomorrow morning, but now I have a tough decision to make. A hard drive just blew in a system at work, and while it is not a complete disaster at the moment because the system is RAIDed, I do have to go in for a few hours tomorrow to fix it.

I'd already been planning 2 or 3 hours to get to Carp and back, and then of course spending the day canning. Now I'm afraid I'm going to have to skip Carp, get my stuff at Parkdale at the end of the street, and hope to get to Carp next weekend.

If I go to Carp tomorrow, I just wont' have time to get done the canning that needs to be done :-(

2009 Aug 28
AND........

2009 Aug 28
So go next week...its there (and us) until October 31.

What are you canning?

2009 Aug 28
I'll probably go next week, yes. Will be canning more tomatoes tomorrow.

2009 Aug 29
I would love to meet you. Make sure you stop by. Any of the hostesses should be able to point me out.

2009 Sep 13
Sadly, I still have not made it out :-( Yesterday my wife through a curveball at me with something she needed the car for and neglected to tell me about til the day before, so I just would not have time for the 2 or 3 or 4 hours it would take to go out there and back. I'd really been looking forward to it with the boys.

But I did make a point at Parkdale to ensure everything I bought was grown locally. I was doing another batch of tomato sauce yesterday. Last week I'd gotten it from Robinson's who do not grow it themselves. I'd checked first the vendor 2nd from the bottom from Edwards, ON, just on the outskirts of Ottawa in the south east, but she did not have a bushel. Yesterday she did, and even though her bushel was $32 to Robinson's $18, I bought it anyway.

OMFG were her tomatoes awesome!!! They really were a whole level of good above the other ones from Robinson last week! Worth every penny of the extra money. My sauce last week was good, but this week's sauce is amazing. Sure, I used different spices this week and I know that is part of the reason, but the better tomatoes is the hugest reason.

BTW, I think this is probably still on topic for this thread because she said their farm is at 7 local markets, so I'm guessing that must include Carp.

From now on I'll be buying my tomatoes from her.

2009 Sep 13
Zym - Gee that is bad luck... especially seeing as yesterday was "Tomato Day" with the opportunity to taste a number of different local varieties at the demo booth. I wasn't at the Market, but their theme days always seem to be well organized.

A couple of things you might appreciate knowing:

1 - Some folks are disappointed when they first visit the Carp Farmers' Market because it is really small as compared to Parkdale... but if one is into Quality vs Quantity, then that doesn't really matter... not that Parkdale isn't Quality stuff, just that Carp offers a whole different set of "local" Vendors and most of them are from the immediate area, or just a wee bit up the road in the Ottawa Valley (say Lanark). A lot of them have small family run ops, and they don't tend to send out a "summer student" to man the kiosk, but are actually there themselves and quite ready to chat about their goods etc.

The experience between Carp and any of the Ottawa Markets is very different in my mind. This market reminds me more of the markets that are held in small towns in rural Quebec & Ontario. More down to earth?

2 - NOTE - The Market will not happen on Saturday, September 26th due to the Carp Fair. Regular schedule will resume on Saturday, October 3rd. For a look at the whole 2009 Carp Farmers' Market Schedule see this page on their website www.carpfarmersmarket.com

3 - The Carp Fair... If you've never been you should make a point of checking it out. I've been to most of the fairs in the Ottawa Valley, and by far this is my favourite. Kids love it... and adults like the genuine back to basics feel.

The animal exhibits and competitions are superb. Lots of opportunities to see local farming at its best. Historical Farm Equipment & Modern Farm Equipment. The Exhibition Hall with the award winning Crops, Fruits & Vegetables (don't miss the Giant Pumpkins), Maple Syrup, Honey, Flowers, Home Brewing of Wine & Beer, Cooking, Sewing, Arts & Crafts, Women's Institute and 4H Exhibits. There are also some folks on site as well with foodstuffs for sale (such as Honey). Outside in the various rings you'll find... Calf, Cow and Steer Juding. And a varied set of horse events... Equestrain & Hunter classes (jumping), Wetern & Barrel Racing, Miniture Horses, Working Horses (Clydesdales, Percherons & Belgians), Driving (sulkies) and one of Eastern Canada's best Heavy Horse Hitch exhibitions... everything from Lady Driving classes with Red River Carts right up thru to the unbelievable 8-Horse Hitch Class.

Of course there is also a midway (with one of the best set of small-kiddie rides around), games of chance and midway food. On the grounds you'll also find booths with "Church Ladies" cooking and a good sit-down meal over at the Curling Rink.

The Arena is home to the Beer Garden (amazing how many familiar faces one runs into) and is where all the big musical entertainment takes place.

For more info check out their website at www.carpfair.ca