sourcing Ontario wine grapes [General]

2009 Aug 28
Anyone know where?

Musca only gets in California

2009 Aug 28
Zym - As far as I know you have to buy direct from the Vineyards... so here is the link for the Grape Growers of Ontario website and info on how to do that and what is available www.grapegrowersofontario.com

2009 Aug 28
zymurgist If you ever pay a visit to the Lansdowne Farmers Market there is a vendor from Beamsville that sells all sorts of fruit from their orchards. Since they are in the Niagara area (and wine region) maybe they can tip you off on some places to contact. Just a though-;)

2009 Aug 28
Pasta Lover - the vendor you speak of sometimes sells conchord grapes, which are freakin' MINDBLOWING (but a bit pricy). I'll be checking for them this weekend.

2009 Aug 28
Chimichimi I haven't tried their concords yet but I will now have to try them on your recommendation. I am planning on loading up on some of their fruits when I'm at Lansdowne this Sunday and I am hoping to find some fresh melons. I was eating them like candy last year cuz they are soooooo sweet. Won't be long and I will be stuck with shopping at blah blahs after the market closes for the season - ick.

2009 Aug 28
I am sure that most folks already know this... BUT Concord Grapes are not that great when it comes to winemaking (think early days in Niagara) what they do well is Grape Juice (think Welchs)... Grape Jelly and Grape Candy.

When used in Wine they are most often made into Kosher Wine (think Manischewitz).