Where to find Fruit Fresh? [General]

2009 Aug 28
Hi everyone,

I am wondering if anyone knows where to purchase "Fruit Fresh" or another similar product. It's a citric acid type product that prevents fruits from browning, when canning or making preserves. I am familiar with the various alternatives used to prevent browning, I'd simply prefer to utilize this type of product.

Any advice would be much appreciated! Thanks!

2009 Aug 28
I have always been able to find it at Loblaws.

2009 Aug 28
I think Bulk Barn also sells something like that.

2009 Aug 28
So you are familiar with lemon juice? That's all I ever use and have never had any reason to want to switch.

2009 Aug 29
Thanks for the tips. I've yet to find any at Loblaw's, but I'll try Bulk Barn.

And yes, as stated, I'm familiar with the alternative. I don't use bottled lemon juice because of sulfites. As for fresh lemons, I'm doing a fair bit of canning, which will get costly using fresh. As a poor student, I find that Fruit Fresh will go a longer way. I might try the Vitamin C tablet approach, but not sure how well it will work.

2009 Aug 30
lemons are usually 2 or 3 for 99 cents at farmboy. I've bought them them for as cheap as 9/$1.00 earlier in summer. Sometime they also have them in the "discard" pile which will work just fine if you are using them right away.

2009 Aug 30
Weeeell, doggie

I'm ashamed to say I've never read the ingredients on lemon juice because it is one of those things you just sort of expect to be as advertised and nothing more! Of course, I don't mind a small amount of sulphites so I don't care.